installing grips

teddypenn

Registered
just got my new driven gel grips and pazzo levers in from motomummy.com. got the levers installed w/o problems and i love em, however when i try to take off the bar ends to change out the grips all i do is basicaly strip out the screw. anyone got some advice?

pazzo levers.jpg

Use an impact driver, or use a very good screw diver, Snap-on, Mac, ect...

Can try poor mans impact driver. Stubby Phillips gripped in you hand holding it against bolt. Apply pressure in direction to loosen it and while you have that pressure applied hit screwdriver with a hammer. Have someone hold your bike and watch your hand.

If you striped out the Phillips head on the bolt then might have to get an "Easy out bit kit"
"Rigid screw extractor set" both the same thing just depends on where you go to buy it.
Got my set from Harbor Freight for $10 I believe. Had a fairing bolt I had to get off. Gotta love dealerships who follow torque specs! You will also need a drill and steady hand. Make sure to use the correct bit when drilling. Bit need to be smaller then the threaded part of the bolt.

Once get that off might need to cut some of the plastic on the throttle to be able to slide on the new grip and have it look right. You'll understand when you see it.

Good Luck.

BTW there is different size Phillips head screwdrivers. Not sure off top of my head what size is needed for that,but having the right one will help your chances of getting it off drastically.

Once have it off can most likely find a rep at local hardware store. Ace hardware is a godo place as they usually have the widest selection and can buy 1 if that's all you need for few cents.

Can try poor mans impact driver. Stubby Phillips gripped in you hand holding it against bolt. Apply pressure in direction to loosen it and while you have that pressure applied hit screwdriver with a hammer. Have someone hold your bike and watch your hand.

If you striped out the Phillips head on the bolt then might have to get an "Easy out bit kit"
"Rigid screw extractor set" both the same thing just depends on where you go to buy it.
Got my set from Harbor Freight for $10 I believe. Had a fairing bolt I had to get off. Gotta love dealerships who follow torque specs! You will also need a drill and steady hand. Make sure to use the correct bit when drilling. Bit need to be smaller then the threaded part of the bolt.

Once get that off might need to cut some of the plastic on the throttle to be able to slide on the new grip and have it look right. You'll understand when you see it.

Good Luck.

What he said :beerchug:

I know when I changed mine...it looked like it had a thread lock compound on it. Maybe they got a bit carried away with yours.

Back