adjusting timing for 93 octane

sh00perman

Registered
since I always run 93 in my bike anyways how much power could be gained by adjusting the timing for 93 octane instead of 87?

well im going to run 87 now, i always figured it needed 93 until i read a post about it, but would it make any difference to tune it for 93?

Unless you have it mapped for something other than 87, or have raised the compression, you're wasting your money.

your bike will thank you if you do. It's up to you though and thereis plenty of debate in regard to octane.

lol i might feel like im depriving her of the best putting 87 in it

She was engineered and built for 87, you may notice a very very very slight increase in mileage running 93 octane due to a high octane fuel burning slower, but I doubt you will notice a power improvement. Where's Robot when you need him? This has just been my expierence.

since I always run 93 in my bike anyways how much power could be gained by adjusting the timing for 93 octane instead of 87?

I did this on my Gen1 track bike...had it remapped on a dyno. Using a PC3R
bumped the timing up mostly...went from 162 to a whopping 163. Stick with
the 87 :whistle:

I run 50/50 118 leaded race fuel/91 pump gas @ the track. Makes pretty flames shoot out of the sidewinder on the 2 step and shifting!:rofl::rofl:

lol not enough hp diff to justify price of gas?

The main reason I did it, was that I also take a liter bike to the track
and I got tired of taking a extra gas can for 87 AND 91...now BOTH
bikes are tuned for 91...so no more "is this can got the 87 or the 91"

Octane is a measure of a fuels ability to "resist burning".. burn rates from pump fuels are pretty much identical and the octane increase can actually hurt performance if the machine is not set up to run it in many cases..

Ignition advance can be increased at lower RPMs w/higher octane fuels (at top end of RPM range it is essentially a waste of time so to speak)

experience on the dyno says that on a stock compression motor, why bother.. if you are on motor with higher compression or camshafts that have been advanced or changed out, you might see benefit (more concerned with stopping damage however from pre-ignition/detonation issues)

Save your pennies...

Octane is a measure of a fuels ability to "resist burning".. burn rates from pump fuels are pretty much identical and the octane increase can actually hurt performance if the machine is not set up to run it in many cases..

Ignition advance can be increased at lower RPMs w/higher octane fuels (at top end of RPM range it is essentially a waste of time so to speak)

experience on the dyno says that on a stock compression motor, why bother.. if you are on motor with higher compression or camshafts that have been advanced or changed out, you might see benefit (more concerned with stopping damage however from pre-ignition/detonation issues)

Save your pennies...

Thank you Randy, I couldnt say it like I was thinking.

Thanks for starting this thread shooperman cause i didnt know any of this either i was always told to put 93 in my R6 so i've been doing the same with my Busa

when ur talkin what, 10, 15 cents more per gallon, then it realy doesnt matter when filling up a 5 gal tank. we all waste 2 bucks here and there anyway, so i feel better putting the good stuff in (even if all i get is more piece of mind)

when ur talkin what, 10, 15 cents more per gallon, then it realy doesnt matter when filling up a 5 gal tank. we all waste 2 bucks here and there anyway, so i feel better putting the good stuff in (even if all i get is more piece of mind)

I can tell you that the bike will perform better on 87 if it is still stock compression, no power adder, etc... I use to also own a super slow YZF600R. I would post there (forum) in the race section and people wondered why I ran 87 octane. I always ran faster and noticed as much as 3-4mph in the 1/4 mile difference. Lots of guys swore that 87 was no good and I would prove them wrong by switching and trying a different grade again the next weekend.

:banghead: It has nothing to do with the price...the Gen1 was "tuned" for 87 :thumbsup:

Back