I want a busa SO bad!!! but I'm..

lv146nlf

Registered
My first post here...
I want a busa SO bad!!! but I'm 5'3" tall 190lbs(not fat). The busa seat height is 31.5". It's a little too tall. Anyway to lower it and keep the handling?. If I could get the seat height to 28"-29" I'll pull the trigger for one tomorrow. I'm 49yrs old, been riding since I was 10. My last sport bike was an FJ1100 with EVERYTHING done except a turbo (weren't available back then). I'm riding a 2007 Fatboy right now but I feel the need fer speed again.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Sure, lowering is very achievable for the 2-3 inches you'd need. I'll let some other that have done this chime in. I've seen several that have been lowered.

:welcome: to the .org!

A custom Tobin seat alone will lower you close to 1 1/2" alone before even touching the suspension

Busa 3.jpg

My wife is 5'2" and has no trouble on my lowered '08 with a stock seat. It's a bit difficult on uneven terrain, but nothing that a watchful eye can't overcome.

I have a 29" inseam...front is lowered 1.5" and I have a cut seat. cant flat foot, but manage well enough to push it backwards, etc.

:welcome: to the .org!

I haven't lowered mine so I can't comment on it too much other than to say I've seen a lot of them lowered. As for the handling. Not sure, I'll let someone who has lowered it provide that feedback.

As long as it's lowered equally, there's no handling issues as far as I'm concerned. I'm carving corners with relative ease.

Reactions: jlc
:welcome: to the .oRg.

Lowering any bike will alter it's lean capacity.

As it's been said, many, many people have lowered their 'busas for a variety of reasons.

Good luck with the decision. :beerchug:

My recommendation is a bit different from some of these posts.

I say start with lowering the seat. Tobin’s seat (or the clones) will get you lower on the bike. It is impossible to lower the suspension without affecting the handling. You can lower it without excessive adverse affects but, even minor changes will make a difference. Maybe a small difference, but a difference. If handling is a concern, only make changes to the suspension as a last resort and in very small amounts.

If that doesn’t get you there, lower it ½-1” just the minimum it takes to get you where you need. I’ve ridden my bike at various heights from 3” lowered to ½” up in the rear. The bike handles best stock or slightly up in the rear.

Now riding styles/abilities come into play here. Some riders do not take advantage of the handling the bike offers, therefore changes will be less noticeable to a less aggressive rider. And then you have to factor in how much better they look the lower they go!

Soupy is a board sponsor and makes a few low cost items that work well if you decide to lower it.
1st a set of adjustable rear links so you can make fine adjustments to the rear.
2nd a spacer the raises the handlebar clamp/cover 1”. This allows the forks to be slid up. However much is needed, up to 1”. There are other solutions if you want to leave the bars in the stock location.
3rd a simple bolt spacer kit to do the same as above. To me it doesn’t look as good as number 2, but it only costs $18 and does the same thing.

Back