Undertail fastners? What are you using?

cmeb4decay

Registered
I have an aftermarket undertail that was being held in place by the 6 fasteners with the serated edges. But I was wondering what other people use and what is the most popular.

Is it regular screws--and do you use nutclips like on the lower side fairings?

Push clips?

Any pics or part numbers greatly appreciated--thanks!!!

the middle set of holes they don't seem to reach---the undertail just doesn't seem to fit as well as stock---scratching head...

I use well nuts, the same as your windscreen, on my Topgun, i did the same to DnGrumpy's bike!

Sexs%20on%20wheels%20079.jpg

Sexs on wheels 003.jpg

SPIKES with Clips in the first and last holes, Middle hole didnt want to reach so I used clips and a longer bolt with a button head on it.

bought some plastic pins that screw in, instead of push/pop in...had to use dremel to open holes up a bit but now my undertail takes at least 2-3min w/a powered screwdriver to get it off, and there's no way its shakin loose or gettin peeled back by any vibration or even prying fingers:thumbsup:

I epoxied nuts on the inside and used stainless steel button head screws. Works great

great responses---I think I will either go with the nutclip idea or just glue or epoxy a nut to the inside of the undertail!
Thanks for the input

+1 on the well nuts, that's what I am using too. They work great, and are cheap at Lowes or Home Depot. The #8 size fits best...you may have to enlarge the holes in the undertail just a little bit...you want them to just barely press into the holes. Then you can get some stainless #8 x 3/4" lg cap screws and washers.

You put the well nuts into the undertail holes, then use a regular machine screw or socket screw through the body holes. They work great and draw nice and tight.

Back