My HID install

mjn

Hillbilly Deluxe
Donating Member
Registered
I didn't want to put the ballast on the intake tube, because that would make the removal of the nose piece far more difficult in the future. So here's what I did;

I cut a couple pieces of plexiglass to use as shims so the bulb fit properly. (hose washers were too small)

09wintermods013.jpg

I mounted the ballast in the nose piece. Since I didnt' trust the doublestick tape alone, I added two support straps. (keep in mind, the nose is upside down on my bench here)
09wintermods011.jpg

close up of upper strap. This took an hour or so of bending...checking...beating...checking...etc..
09wintermods012.jpg

Igniter is mounted on the opposite side. Doublestick tape + plenty of zip ties.
09wintermods014.jpg

Heatshrink tubing applied to leads, dielectric grease used, leads plugged into headlight harness.
09wintermods016.jpg

Clear silicone around headlight dust cover (and around headlight plug in).
09wintermods018.jpg

Pic of everything ziptied and ready to go back on the bike. (pic is of nose right side up this time)
09wintermods021.jpg

next step will be to solder this switch into the white (low beam) wire. I figure I'll get to that in a day or so..
09wintermods020.jpg

I've temporarily put the nose back on to do the required "burn in" of the light. That sucker is BRIGHT! :laugh:

FYI; the "Hold down the start button, then turn on the key, then pull in the clutch" system DOES work on my '05.. but I'm still puttin' in the switch.

I figure I might eventually install the delay timer....if, and only if I can fit it inside the nose. But for now, the switch will work just fine.

MJD, The low beam wire switch, is this to reduce electrical strain upon start up? How much strain will the HID cause?

Dang On Mark....all I see is little red Xs......gonna have to wait till I get home. Gov't firewall.

MJD, The low beam wire switch, is this to reduce electrical strain upon start up? How much strain will the HID cause?

The "cycles" put extra wear on the system. The switch, or the time delay are to eliminate the on-off-on that happens on startup.

Good to know, thanks. Do you pefer a time delay or the toggle switch? And where can you get the time delay switches?

Good to know, thanks. Do you pefer a time delay or the toggle switch? And where can you get the time delay switches?

The time delay switch everyone seems to be using is the DEI 528T. They can be found on ebay pretty easily. I didn't go with it just yet due to space limitations in the nose, and the fact that the box itself just doesn't look all that sturdy.. but I've not heard of any reliability issues yet.

Post man just deliveried my HID kit! I'm ready. Thanks for the tuitorial, I owe you one.:beerchug:

You owe me nothin brother.

This board has helped me countless times over the years. Anytime I can give back a little, I'm happy to.

The time delay switch everyone seems to be using is the DEI 528T. They can be found on ebay pretty easily. I didn't go with it just yet due to space limitations in the nose, and the fact that the box itself just doesn't look all that sturdy.. but I've not heard of any reliability issues yet.
Euro switch is the way to go. Plug and play for '02 and older. A little mod for newer ones. Use the search....

What bulbs did you opt for.

5000K I'm not much of a "bling" guy. I want the brightest I can get, and the 5 looks to be the best.

'Course, it's not like I chose that specifically...the kit was one Rich (BABUSA) had layin' around and never used...:bowdown:

Did anybody have any issues with the gauges? I installed the ballast beside the upper fairing mount and within 2 miles I had gauges reading improperly. Because of time constraints and something else mounted on the intack tube already, I removed mine. The gauges were WAY off.

Did anybody have any issues with the gauges? I installed the ballast beside the upper fairing mount and within 2 miles I had gauges reading improperly. Because of time constraints and something else mounted on the intack tube already, I removed mine. The gauges were WAY off.

I didn't have any issues, but have heard of some people experiencing erratic gauges after installing HIDs.

Back