LP Carbon Frame Slider Install

ThunderPants

Donating Member
Registered
Many thanks to BT for his help and his encouragement.  Without him I would not have been able to cut the holes myself. Well....I might have been able to, but he helped out alot with some quick questions I had and his frame slider install pics.

Ok well here we go.

First of all you want to get both fairings off.  Now you will see the two bolts that mount the engine to the frame.  They are black with hex heads just below the fairing mount hole.

<!--EDIT|ThunderPants
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082102395 -->

framemount.jpg

Before you take either bolt out place a floor jack or a bottle jack under the engine. Put just a slight bit of pressure on the underside of the engine to keep it from dropping down when you remove the bolt. I would also suggest only removing one bolt at a time.

Ok now we need to figure out how to line up the center of our hole. Take a regular Sharpie in any color you choose and grab a pair of pliers. You may want to be outside and not wearing some clothes you want to keep. Pull the cap off and grab onto business end of the Sharpie with the pliers and pull the inside piece of plastic out. Then cut the excess tampon part off.

Should look like this, I tried to use the end of the sharpie but it was too wide:

sharpie.jpg

Now you can take that bolt out of the frame and take a single strip of duct tape and put it about 1 and 1/2 inches from the tip of the Sharpie. Now you just stick the Sharpie in the hole you just took the bolt out of. Now put the fairing back on and screw in the two screws that mount the fairing to the frame. Push in on the fairing just below the top mounting bolt to get your mark on the inside of the fairing.

Now that you have your mark on the inside take a small diameter drill bit and drill from the inside out, try to be parallel to the ground.
Looks like this:

PilotHole.jpg

Now put the old frame bolt back in and tighten in a few turns. Put the fairing back on and then put your same drill bit back through from the outside in. Push it in until it hits something on the back side, now with light pressure let the drill turn a few revs to scratch the surface of whatever the drill hit. As before try to be as close to parallel to the ground as possible. Now take off the fairing (again) and look at the head of the frame bolt. If you are good and lucky the center of the bolt head should be scratched from the drill bit. If not adjust the center of your accordingly and repeat.

Now that you have the hole marked its time to do some real damage. You can cut the hole anyway you want but the easiest way is to go to Home Depot and buy yourself a hole saw. I will post a pic tomorrow if you dont know what one is.

The 1 3/4" is the perfect size with a tight fit. 1 7/8" may be a little better but there is not much room on the left side for a bigger hole.

Before you use the holesaw make your pilot hole a little bigger, proceed to make the hole bigger by using ever larger bits but be sure you stop before your hole is bigger than the pilot bit on the holesaw. This will make sure the center stays centered.

I cut the hole with the fairing on the bike to make sure the drill was parallel to the ground when I started to cut. Put some masking tape around where you are cutting so you don't chip the paint.

Now start the second guessing. Can I do this? Will I F it up? This seems stupid, I should have a pro doing this.

Well it's too late now you already have a hole in the fairing you might as well go all the way. If you done your work on lining up the center this is the easy part. Put the pilot bit in the center hole and SLOWLY very SLOWLY start to cut in making sure the drill is parallel to the ground. This will make the cut round and not oblong and funny looking.

Keep going until you are all the way through taking your time and not spinning the drill to fast.

The left should look like this:

LeftSideAfter.jpg

See what I mean about the 1 3/4" Hole saw being perfect? Your hole is going to be a little rough, use a rasp file or sand paper to smooth the edges. Now if you did this right you should be able to mount the frame slider without taking the fariing off again. Slide the slider through the hole and check for tight spots that may be a problem later. Slide the new frame bolt in and start to tighten being sure not to crossthread or force the bolt in. Also check to make sure you didn't pin the fairing behind the slider(I did).

IMPORTANT-- the two frame sliders are not identical in length, there are instructions read them(I didn't at first)

ALSO IMPORTANT -- the new bolts are not the same size either, check the instructions for instruction.

Here is the left side once you are done:

LeftSlider.jpg

Pretty simple, if I can do it you can do it. Just take your time and double check everything before you make a mistake. Have fun, hope this helps some of you.

Great job! Also, excellent tutorial on what you did. I think the hardest paprt was wrestling with a way to find the center of the opening. Once that was done it was really very simple. Let's see those full bike pics, so we can really praise your work!

Great job!  Also, excellent tutorial on what you did.  I think the hardest paprt was wrestling with a way to find the center of the opening.  Once that was done it was really very simple.  Let's see those full bike pics, so we can really praise your work!
Soon, I just got the parts back from the painter yesterday, should have it back together by Saturday.  So stay tuned for some pics.  Here is a teaser.

<!--EDIT|ThunderPants
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082123661 -->

paintedrightside.jpg

Back