battery mod

godzilla

Registered
due to some additional electrical systems in need more battery power. instead of using a second battery i decided to use a single big one. after some research i found the gel-gtx20 matching my requirements best. it has twice the capacity of the genuine busa battery and should solve my problems once and for all.

today i started the mod by welding a matching box using some stainless steal. the box will be mounted with the two scres next to the fuel-tank base. i don´t want to drill or modify the frame. the box is gonna get some black paint tomorrow.

batt2.JPG

on this pic you can see the battery is twice as long as the original busas cellpack when used lying what´s no problem cause of the gel-layout. the smaller box is the one i used till today with the original battery.

batt1.JPG

tommorow i´ll modify the undertray and hopefully finish the mod.

Very cool. Love to watch this one develop too. The Busa on a scale of 1-6 last time I looked was like a 1.5 on the electrical output that could be designated for heated gear, electrical mods, etc. ??? Pretty low.

here we go. just back in time from garage.

i applied the box at the fuel-tank basemounts. there are two M8 bolts connecting the mount with the frame:

batt3.JPG

the mount of the battery-box have to be L-shaped, otherwise they woudn´t match:

batt6.JPG

here´s the battery in underseat-view. ecu, cable, quickshifter, speedohealer a.s.o. still fit. the battery is not as high as the original one. fits perfect. there´s also no need to rewire, all cables reach the new port-positions of the bigger battery:

batt5.JPG

the battery does not reduce wheel clearance. my bike is 5" over:

busa.jpg

but this mod shoul work with stock bikes, too, cause there is much more space than 5" between battery and rearwheel. if you don´t lay on the ground the battery-mod is completely invisible.

batt4.JPG

the battery is just a few bucks more expensive than the original one. it is normally used in harleys and easy to get. but be sure to get a gel-one. simple acid units will not work in lying position. just check ebay or local dealers. i paid about $85.

charging will be no problem. in normal, daily use the charging system doesnt´t need to work harder, cause the battery is not always empty and hasn´t to be fully recharged. if the higher capacity is used, it just takes a few more miles more complete charging.

apart from a little bit cosmetic work the mod is finished and i´m very happy to have more electrical power for all the funny things i love that much ;-)

Last edited:
Interesting, I have always wondered if that was possible , we have battery issues on our "work" Busa's. :laugh:

tv-sept-07 117.jpg

Way Kool.. The swing arm looks awful close, almost like it would hit when you sit on it. ???
Sweet mod.. :thumbsup:

looks like a good solution for the stretched crowd.

The way resolved the electrical problems on my buddies busa was by just adding a second battery. Yes, he does have an aftermarket tail so the battery box area did have additional room. You end up with the same voltage but alot more amps. The charging system has no problem keeping up with things.

P1082238.jpg

The swing arm looks awful close, almost like it would hit when you sit on it. ??

the photo is fooling. there´s far enough clearance. i´ll try to make a better shot.
it´s even more space than i had with the original battery. things on the photo may appear closer as they are ;-)

one of the main reasons why i took a big single battery instead of two in parallel mode ist the fact, that two batteries permanent connected discharge each other if they are not completely equal. if you use two batteries of different sizes you get exactly this effect.

the photo is fooling. there´s far enough clearance. i´ll try to make a better shot.
it´s even more space than i had with the original battery. things on the photo may appear closer as they are ;-)

So your saying with stock swing arm there would be no clearance issues, correct?
Link to battery or model numbers off it would be cool.. Also would you be interested in making a box for a small fee? :whistle:

BTW Great write up.. :thumbsup:

So your saying with stock swing arm there would be no clearance issues, correct?
Link to battery or model numbers off it would be cool.. Also would you be interested in making a box for a small fee? :whistle:

BTW Great write up.. :thumbsup:

this is the same i installed: eBay Motors: YTX20L-BS GEL Battery Buell Harley Polaris Bombardier (item 400018747067 end time Jan-18-09 08:21:34 PST)

dimensions can be found in disription, just check if there´s enough clearance at your ride. i can´t guarantee this mod will fit any busa. but there are also smaller batteries which can be used if this one won´t fit. 16AH e.g.

sorry, dude, but i´m german and sending parts to the united states from germany is very, very expensive. but i´m sure you´ll find a guy who welds a box for little money, cause it´s not the difficult and don´t need much time to fabricate.

Back