I need your opinion and knowledge

coreywiley

Registered
I wrecked my beloved 08 busa tonight:banghead:banghead:. I guess that I should've taken her out in the cold. because she slid up from under me in the middle of a right turn. Any way I have a thousand dollar deductable. I was wondering if I should pay it or should I just purchase the parts and put them on myself. Two pieces on the bike that broke that I don't know what they are called(the first two pictures). Can someone tell what's the name of them? :beerchug:

100_1149.jpg

100_1154.jpg

100_1151.jpg

100_1150.jpg

100_1155.jpg

The price on those parts will exceed $1000 once you add in labor. Upper fairing,lower right fairing,right mirror,front brake lever,tail section,right blinker,right liiner fairing, brake fluid resevior. You may be able to save some money if you claim it on insurance and then purchase and install the parts yourself.

Last edited:
I would price the parts first, then decide. Probably will be well over the $1,000 deduct, what exhaust do you have?
Not sure which part you are referring to, the rear turn signal pod?

man that sucks dude!!! that looks like well over a grand of damage to me?? that side fairing alone is 5-6 bones.. at least your ok.

Yep..like said, parts well over 1K alone. Insurance claim for sure, but who is your insurer....could drive up insurance cost? First post above has it about right on the needed parts.

Up to you, but like others have said the cost of parts alone will exceed that $1k deductible.

Get an estimate on parts and labor (remember to price the parts PAINTED). After you have the parts in hand, install them all yourself. You might just about break even on the deductible.

--Wag--

My ??? is you did all that damage making a right turn, how fast were you going. I take curves at some pretty good speeds but not turns.

File a claim. That's why you have insurance in the first place. Here's what to do. DAMHIK.

1) On monday, call your agent if you need any sort of advice (I know mine personally, so I consult him on stuff like this.
2) Otherwise, call the # on your insurance card to report an accident. A single-bike, no fault accident is no big deal. No one hurt, no impact to other person/car etc.
3) They will tell you to get an estimate of the damage. So take it to your local shop and they can whip up an estimate for you. Your local Ins. adjuster may also take a look at the bike too.
4) The general rule with 'the estimate' is the insurance co is required to restore your bike to the exact condition it was in prior to the accident. Again, it's why you have insurance in the first place- don't be afraid to use it.
5) The Estimate is the laundry list of damage your shop whips up + estimated labor to put the bike back together.
6) Rule with insurance is they have to use actual OEM parts to fix your bike & create the quote with. Actual Suzuki stuff vs 2nd hand fairings / parts etc.
7) Once the Ins Co has The Estimate, they'll tell you if they will total out your bike (you'd be surprised how easy it is to do that) or the damage is within the range of what they will fix.
8) If you opt to take the money- they will cut you a check and hand it to you and done (less the $1000 deductible of course).
9) If you opt to have shop fix your bike for you, then the money would go to the shop to buy the parts for you and so on. But you'd have to kick in any extra money to finish repairs if the shop handles the entire process plus sources OEM Suzuki replacement parts.
10) My advice- take the check whether it's totaled or not and fix the bike yourself. Huge advantages in fixing it yourself vs paying shop to buy OEM parts plus pay full shop labor prices.
11) If they total it, and you decide to keep it, it will change the title of the bike, but if you plan on keeping the bike- no biggy. Regardless a totaled bike has a reduced resale value. If it's totaled, and you opt to buy it back, they'll have a formula they'll use to ascertain the value of the bike (less depreciation + mods if they are included in your policy- even jacket & helmet can be covered in some Ins policies), and they give you back your own bike plus the check.
12) Source your own parts with your Ins Check and you will likely come out ahead as odd as that may seem.
13) Lastly, consult with your insurance agent any step of this process. That's their job and they may have some advice you hadn't thought of. Single bike-no fault accident is not that big of a deal, just happens.

Btw, that thing under the nose is called the fairing stay, and it's likely bent. So you'd need a new one. Last time I got one of those, sourced it off eBay for a couple bucks.

Last edited:
I'm willing to buy the parts and install myself to keep my insurance from going up! I don't want to total the bike out cause than they might not want to insure me the next time. The reason I said that is because my last bike was stolen and I was with Geico. So when I bought this bike and called them to get insurance they told that they wouldn't insure me even though I got a low jack installed. I thought that was bull****.
I found all the parts that I need to fix it and the prices are as follows
1. upper Fairing $160.42
2. Right Fairing $300.00
3. upper Fairing stay $184.98
4. Rear Right turn signal $44.98
Total=$645.40

I can't find the right turn signal pod . Do anyone no where I can get one off line or know if that is even the name of it? I put the picture up again so that you can see what I'm talking about:beerchug:

100_1149.jpg

Based on my experience, do the work yourself and keep the insurance company out of it. If you don't believe me go on the internet and look at any insurance company. Answer the question have you had an accident in the past five years and see the results :whistle:

Glad you're alright and buy the gunmetal plastics they're faster :laugh:

File a claim. That's why you have insurance in the first place. Here's what to do. DAMHIK.

1) On monday, call your agent if you need any sort of advice (I know mine personally, so I consult him on stuff like this.
2) Otherwise, call the # on your insurance card to report an accident. A single-bike, no fault accident is no big deal. No one hurt, no impact to other person/car etc.
3) They will tell you to get an estimate of the damage. So take it to your local shop and they can whip up an estimate for you. Your local Ins. adjuster may also take a look at the bike too.
4) The general rule with 'the estimate' is the insurance co is required to restore your bike to the exact condition it was in prior to the accident. Again, it's why you have insurance in the first place- don't be afraid to use it.
5) The Estimate is the laundry list of damage your shop whips up + estimated labor to put the bike back together.
6) Rule with insurance is they have to use actual OEM parts to fix your bike & create the quote with. Actual Suzuki stuff vs 2nd hand fairings / parts etc.
7) Once the Ins Co has The Estimate, they'll tell you if they will total out your bike (you'd be surprised how easy it is to do that) or the damage is within the range of what they will fix.
8) If you opt to take the money- they will cut you a check and hand it to you and done (less the $1000 deductible of course).
9) If you opt to have shop fix your bike for you, then the money would go to the shop to buy the parts for you and so on. But you'd have to kick in any extra money to finish repairs if the shop handles the entire process plus sources OEM Suzuki replacement parts.
10) My advice- take the check whether it's totaled or not and fix the bike yourself. Huge advantages in fixing it yourself vs paying shop to buy OEM parts plus pay full shop labor prices.
11) If they total it, and you decide to keep it, it will change the title of the bike, but if you plan on keeping the bike- no biggy. Regardless a totaled bike has a reduced resale value. If it's totaled, and you opt to buy it back, they'll have a formula they'll use to ascertain the value of the bike (less depreciation + mods if they are included in your policy- even jacket & helmet can be covered in some Ins policies), and they give you back your own bike plus the check.
12) Source your own parts with your Ins Check and you will likely come out ahead as odd as that may seem.
13) Lastly, consult with your insurance agent any step of this process. That's their job and they may have some advice you hadn't thought of. Single bike-no fault accident is not that big of a deal, just happens.

Btw, that thing under the nose is called the fairing stay, and it's likely bent. So you'd need a new one. Last time I got one of those, sourced it off eBay for a couple bucks.

+1
Do as he says and stop looking at T.V. while you are riding.:rofl:

hey try ( cheapcycleparts.com) there oem parts an there alot cheaper then anywhere i have found like the front nose is $259.29 side cowling $290.71 lower cowling $143.49 hope this can help u out glad ur ok give pics when u get ur back up an ready good luck adam:thumbsup:

pay the deductable and break somemore sh!t before you do it. or alot of the times if all farings are scratched they will total it.

Back