Automotive paint as motorcycle paint?

305Busa

Registered
Im in the process of looking for colors for my bike and found a beautiful pearl. The problem is that its on a car. I was just wondering if automotive paint is the same as what would be sprayed on the plastics of a motorcycle? Is the flexibility the same? I know motorcycle plastics are more flexible than cars parts and didnt want anything to crack. Thanks in advance

:welcome: Samething paint is paint doesnt matter if its for a bike or car...

A bumper on a car is more flexable then a bike fairing....

Thanks for the responce and the welcome. I'll be here a lot more often since I picked up the bike from my brother who's also a member that goes by the name of "NightCrawler".

A flex additive is added to automotive paint for bumpers and the parts should be allowed to cure a little while before attempting to handle or install. No reason not to use automotive paint. Your pearl is probably a 3 stg with base, midcoat, and clear. Much harder to match perfectly if touch-ups or repairs are needed. I'd probably pick a base/clear color if cost was an issue.

A flex additive is added to automotive paint for bumpers and the parts should be allowed to cure a little while before attempting to handle or install. No reason not to use automotive paint. Your pearl is probably a 3 stg with base, midcoat, and clear. Much harder to match perfectly if touch-ups or repairs are needed. I'd probably pick a base/clear color if cost was an issue.

yes it would be a three stage..but you might beable to buy it from suzuki for the limited edition bikes.. the 2nd stage is the tint...

And if you have no clue about painting (Which I can already see) have a professional do it. Dont even try it yourself. I speak from experience. I have painted many cars and bikes....

dont be afraid to due it yourself. stay with a 2 stage paint and a solid color..
there are many paintips you can look for, even I will ask questions.. goto autobody forums, you may have to do a google search and get some tips from the pros there... nothing better than doing it yourself. prep work is the key to a good paint job.. here are some ones I did, 3 colors, last second thing with what I was going to do with the silver and gun meta lgrey.. these pics were taken 15 minutes after I layed the clear.. nice and flat huh??
Picture_071.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture_081.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture_085.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture_081.jpg
[/IMG]

I would use a flex additive so the paint will flex without cracking. This will also change the tint of the paint versus paint that you do not add the flex additive to. Revolution does some sick paint and could offer some really good advice. I painted my own car before and it turned out really nice, especially for a first timer. Read all you can and then practice on some junk parts until you get it down. There is an art to it, dont get me wrong, not anyone can paint, but if you have the want to and the patience to learn, you can do it. Welcome to the board.

you really dont need the flex additive.. the bodyshop I get my materials from is extremly good, the use strickly standox paint. when he went to school the would use a ballon as an example to show the elastics of the flex additve spray on it.. you would use a very so amount on the car bumpers, it can change the color a bit if not used carefully.. I done bikes that came back wrecked.. I seen fairings ripped in half, ect..and with the standox paint, no chipping of flaking around the damaged areas, no spider cracks. this could happen when a part has a lot of stress on it. like if it fell over onto something but didn't damage the part other wise.. but you dont need it. the paint is pretty durable,, I say this with standox, dont really know other brands that well.. dont get all wound up about all the extra additives, theres a lot of them.. if you can just practice of some spare sheetmetal lying around or if you have left over parts from a previous damage..

Thanks for all the advise. I had no intentions on doing it myself but the guy thats paiting the bike has been painting for a long time but he has only painted cars in his shop, never a bike. He's a good painter and buddy of mines but he just wanted me to make sure that it would be the same paint.

if it is your first paint job, you will save a negative amount of $$$ I got my first paint quote on my 70 W30 442 at $2000... So I figured WTF... I will just do it myself..

$2000 later it was not done yet.. I had a bunch of 1 time purchases (good gun etc) that drove the cost up to about $2600 by the time I had supplies, papers, and all the stuff you need to do the job right, plus I had to deal with some learning curve..

Yea I got it right finally but it would have been faster and cheaper to let a "pro" do it in the first place... YET there is something to the DIY part... I painted another half dozen cars and now have no desire to do anymore..

if it is your first paint job, you will save a negative amount of $$$ I got my first paint quote on my 70 W30 442 at $2000... So I figured WTF... I will just do it myself..

$2000 later it was not done yet.. I had a bunch of 1 time purchases (good gun etc) that drove the cost up to about $2600 by the time I had supplies, papers, and all the stuff you need to do the job right, plus I had to deal with some learning curve..

Yea I got it right finally but it would have been faster and cheaper to let a "pro" do it in the first place... YET there is something to the DIY part... I painted another half dozen cars and now have no desire to do anymore..

$2000.00 for a paint job for a W-30!! thats a real good price.. I get the paint for companies cost, it was 1200.00 just for paint materials.... if it's not the re-make, in the 80's but a 70's W-30.. for a a pretty decent job, it would probaly be around 5-7grand area.. you want that body dead strait.. before throwing some paint on.. car like that would be worth it.

Back