Rear Hump Trunk Mod

cipher5791

Registered
I had seen the modification shown on the forum an other websites many times before. So I took off to my local hardware store with bolt and clip in hand from the hump. Whet I decided to do was thread my bolt from the back side of the clip and use a wing nut to screw on and off to allow easy access.

SD532326.JPG

Then I had to take my wire cutters and cut that plastic so I could slide the clip in with the bolt aleady screwed tight.

SD532324.JPG

Finally I combined the plate with the hump and just tighted the wing nuts down. Still seems like a lot of work though. I am thinking of cutting the plastic in half and putting some hinges on it to make it more like a door.
Just an idea.
sadnews.gif

The bolts that came out of my hump were a Metric bolts size M6. I just purchased some longer bolts and wing nuts with screw pattern the same size. Cost me $4.12. cheap.
laugh.gif

Finally I combined the plate with the hump and just tighted the wing nuts down. Still seems like a lot of work though. I am thinking of cutting the plastic in half and putting some hinges on it to make it more like a door.
Just an idea.  
sadnews.gif

The bolts that came out of my hump were a Metric bolts size M6. I just purchased some longer bolts and wing nuts with screw pattern the same size. Cost me $4.12. cheap.
laugh.gif

ThumbsUp.gif
brave.gif

SD532329.JPG

just buy the hump mod kit for $12 I think it was? 1/4 turn fasteners and they are captive held so you can not loose them... will see if I can find the link for you..

mines been modded for along time its good to use all that extra space! I don't understand why Zuk didn't make it on the new busas.

I can't believe you found the right wing nuts! I looked everywhere for the right size and couldn't find them. I did that to my hump a long time ago except I just switched out the original nuts with screws and I carry an iddy-bitty screw driver with me. I'll have to look again for the wing nuts. What I also did was go to Wal Mart and in the craft section I bought felt strips with the tape on the back and taped the felt all over the inside of the hump so that it doesn't sound like every thing is ratteling around in there.
beerchug.gif

I can't believe you found the right wing nuts! I looked everywhere for the right size and couldn't find them. I did that to my hump a long time ago except I just switched out the original nuts with screws and I carry an iddy-bitty screw driver with me. I'll have to look again for the wing nuts. What I also did was go to Wal Mart and in the craft section I bought felt strips with the tape on the back and taped the felt all over the inside of the hump so that it doesn't sound like every thing is ratteling around in there.  
beerchug.gif
Thanks for the tip baby girl. I appreciate that very much. tired of all the rattling when I pick the hump up.

I pulled this from and old post from 2003 of my trunk mod thats still workin just as good as the day i made it.

ok i got bored here in pa in the rain today, and i think i may have gone over board on my hump storage mod. i used a piece of piano hinge on the narrow side of the hump (Note: i had to trim a little off the mounting base end so it would pivot without hitting the hump) then i took apart the door of one of my wifes old cat carriers it has a nice small spring latch thingie that holds the door closed. a couple of quick bends in the spring loaded rods and i was ready to go. i cut two small channels in the mounting base and drilled a nice hole in each of the pillars for the spring loaded rods to slip into and wollah im done. two pop rivets to hold it to the base and works like a charm, and it hold it shut tight.

post_11_43888_humpmod.jpg

I pulled this from and old post from 2003 of my trunk mod thats still workin just as good as the day i made it.

ok i got bored here in pa in the rain today, and i think i may have gone over board on my hump storage mod. i used a piece of piano hinge on the narrow side of the hump (Note: i had to trim a little off the mounting base end so it would pivot without hitting the hump) then i took apart the door of one of my wifes old cat carriers it has a nice small spring latch thingie that holds the door closed. a couple of quick bends in the spring loaded rods and i was ready to go. i cut two small channels in the mounting base and drilled a nice hole in each of the pillars for the spring loaded rods to slip into and wollah im done. two pop rivets to hold it to the base and works like a charm, and it hold it shut tight.

Really like that Boney1. I will try that out when I get some time and feel like fooling with it.

beerchug.gif

The very first chick I have ever seen work a Busa like that! :bowdown: You now have my respect even though I dont know you. Cheers! :beerchug:

Back