How to Remove Kanji Decals

BMW5

Registered
Hi Forum,

I'm a new member, and I just bought an '07 Red Hayabusa with 461 miles yesterday. I would like to replace the Kanji symbols on the front fairings with the chrome version. What is the best way to remove the factory decals without damaging the paint?

Thanks,
BMW5

a hair dryer or a heat gun will help them come off a little easier just dont get it to hot.

Welcome to the oRg. Take your time removing those.
beerchug.gif

They're wicked easy to peel off. Just park your bike in the sun, wait 5 minutes and start peeling.
It's the frame and tank stickers that suck balls.

They're wicked easy to peel off.  Just park your bike in the sun, wait 5 minutes and start peeling.
It's the frame and tank stickers that suck balls.
yup, just leave in the sun for a while. if need be use a hairdryer but keep the dryer moving, don't let it blister the paint.

i'd be really carefull using goo gone.....i made that mistake. goo gone eats the urethane and then painting is needed. i fortunately only made that mistake in one spot. the rest i used a heat gun on low heat, lifted the stickers, oh so gently, the used a light rubbing compound, foam pad and low speed, buffed the rest of it right out. watch use the wheel tho, you'll heat that paint up fast and burn it quick. let it cool after using the heat gun too.

Welcome to the .Org
thumb_up.gif

I'd try pealing them first, after a little heat. Excess glue can be removed with some masking tape, followed by a good polish.

Post some pics when you can.

welcome.gif
aboard!
hello.gif

Like the others said, use a little heat... and peel.

any left over glue, use goo gone
NO GOO GONE
cursin.gif
pissed.gif
wtf.gif
.......use WD-40....spray a little on a rag and gently rub, the wd40 will take all the left over glue right off(may need to repeat process a few times),can be used on any surface.....SAFELY.....at least thats what i've ALWAYS done and never had clear coat or paint problems like goo-gone.

3m makes a wax and sticker adhesive remover that works great just make sure you wash the surface extra good to make sure you have the extra wd40, goo done, and adhesive remover to make sure that chemical doesnt' make the new sticker start to peel or look shiddy

We have removed some that leave very little adhesive and some that we wished we had not touched. We use 3M Adhesive Remover. It does not affect clear coats and as long as you do not rub on it super hard it will not dull the finish. Get it at your local auto paint and body store.

i do vinyl graphics and the best way is, a little heat (hair dryer/heat gun) and wd40. clean after with class cleaner then wax. NO PAPER TOWELS. soft rags.

most aftermarket decals are overlays anyhow so you can just leave the original and apply the new one over the old and use the old as a template on where to place the new one.

Back