Rear Fender removal - I'm scared to do it.

JusPlaynBob

Registered
I think I want to cut off the rear fender but, I'm unsure.
Once it's gone, it's gone.
I'm not really interested in an under tail, especially with different tail lights.
I like the CA clear LED light, I have now, but the fender kinda sorta bugs me.

March2108005.jpg

Honestly, I haven't seen many on the site with only just the fender cut.

If you guys have got a pic. or two, it might help.
Especially the Black ones.
winkold.gif

Just the fender cut off wiht a CA integrated tail light. If you are afraid to cut it because once it's gone, it's gone... Keep in mind that you can buy the stock undertail shovel off ebay from anywhere between $50-100... so don't worry about it just do it... if you don't like it, you can buy a stock undertail or an aftermarket...

DSC00692.jpg

I know these are old pictures... but people conitnue to want to see the shovel just cut off and these are the easiest pictures for me to locate in my photobucket...

DSC01862.jpg

Your thread prompted me to do a How-To on where to trim your stock flap and install an LED tail light, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO RELOCATE YOUR LICENSE PLATE.
biggrin.gif

We have the same bike, same tail light (mine is smoked w/ integrated turn signals)

Get a $3 mini saw from walmart.

Remove the reflectors. Permanently. They're ugly. Unless you like them.

Remove plate.

If your LED board is JUST the brake light, and you intend on using the factory turn signals, this is all you have to do: Draw a line from where the fender starts at the bottom of the signal stalk and cut to the middle, stopping just below the plate bracket holes. Repeat for other side. Using a tape line might be better, to keep your cut even.

Remove stock tail light & bulbs.

Plug the LED board in to one of the sockets, put new lens on.

Replace plate.

Drink beer.

If your LED board has the integrated signals like mine (I love it!), this is what you do instead in addition/extra:

Unbolt the signal stalks. leave about 1 1/2" of wire from the stalks when snipping them, in case you want to sell them later.

Put signals somewhere safe. ;)

Remove stock tail light.

Remove the seat, hump, and whole rear cowl.

The LED board plugs into 1 of the tail bulb sockets for the brake light, then you'll need to extend the signal wires about 10" (I think). Run the signal wires through a slot by the unused brake bulb socket in order to keep them hidden. At least, that's what I did. (It becomes evident what you need to do once you get the signals off and the wires snipped).

Use a razor blade to shave out the rough saw-cut frilly's, or a sanding block or whatever. (I still have to do this. ;) )

You'll be glad you did it. I will attach a few pics of where to trim, and what mine looks like.

1st pic, keeping stock signals:

trim2.JPG

I did a whole step by step, I used a drill and drill holes along the line and just cut from hole to hole with heavy duty blade

If you have a dremel you can make easy work to clean it up, Ill see if I can find the pics

its really easy , just do it... get an integrated signal as above, it looks so clean and they are very visable, best i have seen

Shovel cut off with Exacto knife then filed smooth, fabricated new license plate bracket from scrap .080 aluminum sheet. Also painted rear reflector.

tail.jpg

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you can just leave a plastic piece , dont cut it all the way off, drill some new holes and bolt licence plate to it, very strong

once I sanded the left over undertail, I masked it and used some flat black paint, looks fantastic

LOL I sold my VMAX for a BUSA too
beerchug.gif

Thanks for your efforts guys.

I think I'll keep it as is.
In my opinion, the angles don't sync.
The only way the top of the tire meets the lines of the tail section is
with the wheel pulled back about five inches, and I don't want to compromise handling over looks.

Don't get me wrong, it cleans up and looks , okay...

Just not WOW, okay.

From behind is great, it's the profile...If you see what I mean.

post_49_19409_trim7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Used Razor knife to cut off the flap minus what I needed to keep for the plate. A little sanding the excess and whalaa...

CutUndertail.jpg

Turn signals on the plate...

RearofbikeafterSoupyslinksinstalled.jpg

Just do it! This is a must do mod. That stock fender sticking down is so ugly. What are ya, chicken? I dare you. I double dare you.

Back