Fairing Screens??

BRUDEH

Registered
Tried to do the screen mod today, thought it would be easy. Someone posted it took an hour or so, BS. Had to bail on it. Anyone have any pointers on this, I like the way it looks and I dont know if other year sides are the same as the 04 but damn with the twist and radius'. HELP....

Um, Bump... I haven't done mine yet but I remember a thread just a couple of weeks ago. VAbusa did hers and banged it right out. I would check around for her thread or talk to Va on Monday. If you have the right kinda screen and silicone, it shouldn't be too hard...

Rev

I did the screen mod a while back and I will admit it does take some time. Removing the fairings aside, it was probably more like 3 or 4 hours one Saturday morning while it was raining to get things in place before letting it all sit over night. The hardest part for me was forming the screen. I did a preliminary cut to cover the opening and many subsequent cuts to get it down to a manageable size (about 3/4" border around the opening). Once the size was close, I used my thumbs to push the screen from inside to outside to get the shape. After the fit was good, meaning that the screen would stay in place without me holding it, I removed the screen, placed some silicone around the opening where the screen was to sit, replaced the screen and put some more silicone on top of the screen. Then I had to secure it for about 4 to 5 minutes to make sure it would hold in place. Repeated that process for each of the 3 openings on the side fairings and the opening on the tail section fairing. I have some pictures that I took of the process, but they are on my other computer and I will have to wait to post them until later. BACharles helped me with mine, so if you need other advice he can definitely help.

Hope that helps.

I've done the mod and it definitely an all morning mod. As BigBS mentioned forming the scren is the hardest part. I formed it, set glue to the fairing then set the scren in place, set duct tape over it, then waited for it to dry. The duct tape simply gave the glue something to hold to while it dried, then its removed.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>HEERE HEERE</span>

Screen GURU HERE!

I have literly fugged up tons of times and have mastered this one by redoing it. (MY CLAIM TO FAME = FUBAR) if have made it to a fubar then you can claim it.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use hot glue. Hot glue melts at about Oh lets say 100 degrees. YOUR ENGINE runs at about 210 degrees lets say. THIS =

HOT FUGGIN GLUE melts all over your oil cooler, radiator hoses, inside fairings, engine covers, decals, paint, and frames. Now when cool it peels right off like rubber cement/snot but DAYUM! take it from me once again...

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use hot glue, say it with me.....

OK ok.

once plastics are removed to begin..

Cut screen material a little more than slightly larger than opening. If you make about a ½ inch crease or fold in one of the longer sides of the cut piece of screen then it gives you a starting point.

Lay the screen so the folded piece is against the INSIDE of the plastics. While holding the fold down form the basic shape of the screen over the edges to create the shape of the screen mold. Pay some attention to the angle of the "GRID" pattern so it matches the other pieces on that side at least.

If you have a hot soldering iron this part is real easy. Take a screw driver and press down on a piece of the screen near the corner begining at the fold to hold it down against the plastic. Put tip of soldering iron on screen to "MELT" it down "INTO" the plastic using the screwdriver hold it down. remove hot iron and let metal screen THATS SLIGHTLY burried into the lightly melted plastic. This is a TEMPORARY tacking process. Move down several points of the screen melt welding it into the plastics to hold it inplace.

GET SOME BLACK GASKET MAKER silicone product from auto store. (it's high temp).

Silicone a bead all the way around the screen pressing it down in between the screen to get better adheasion to the plastic. (bead it then smear it down in).

If you melt tac all the screens on one side then silicone them all at once it cuts down on the mess, as apposed to one screen at a time.

about 1 hour not counting removing plastics.

Bowing the screen outward looks better and is easier to clear the left side temp sensor better.

I made the mistake with hot glue. Not a fun cleanup. Plus you don't want to do it all twice. Just takes some time. I used a hairdryer to help with the initial setup of the adhesive

Hello everyone,

I like the looks of the fairing screens. I have read some threads about buying it a Home Depot..what do you ask for? But my main question is how does it attach to the fairing? I am getting ready to do the frame sliders, so this would be a perfect time. Thanks!!!

I have done both mods to my bike and really like the look and appreciate the protection the sliders provide! I got the APC screen material used for cars from Advance Auto Parts. It costs around $35 and is enough to do your bike a couple times over. I used a red tube of 'Goop' to adhere the screen to the fairings. Put a line of that on the fairing under the screen will help the adhesion. You will some way to secure the screen to the fairing until it sets up. Some have used a soldering iron to help that process. Let it sit over night and you should be all set to ride the next day!

I did the same as BigBSBusa and it was very easy to do. On the undertail the right side you can use the screw that holds the black cover on and on the left just use the goop. Good luck!
smile.gif

I also say thanks as i'm going to do this mod in the near future also..
beerchug.gif

SCREEN MASTA HERE!

LOWES hardware, gutter screen 6"x20ft roll is $2.89. Now, cut a piece of screen larger than the hole to be covered. Put a small fold in one of the long sides of the screen to give you a starting spot.

Bow the screen outward some.

Take a soldering iron and a screwdriver. Use the screwdriver to hold down the screen. Take the hot soldering iron tip to "MELT" weld the screen down into the plastic. Just enuff to hold it in place. Go all the way around melt welding spots. When all screens on that plastic piece are inplace use black gasket maker silicone glue $2.99 and glue each screen down. Move to next panel.

WHole bike less than 2 hours.

ICE
PS DONT USE HOT GLUE!

bigo bigo mess to clean up.

SCREEN MASTA HERE!

PS DONT USE HOT GLUE!  

bigo bigo mess to clean up.
"screen masta" - good one, ICE..
biggrin.gif

I can attest to the hot glue gun making a mess.. no, I didn't do that, but a guy in town did it and then went for a nice long ride... someone asked him what was dripping out of the bottom of his fairing.. HUGE mess! He rides a gixxer1k.. not that there's anything wrong with that..
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

<span style='color:blue'>All i did was cut the mesh to size leaving about an inch all around then tacked a few places with a hot glue gun and then some J&B weld around even concrete epoxy will work any glue that is thick enough not to run......i have had mine on for over a year ...no problems yet</span>

buza_002.jpg

smile.gif
Merged this into the wrong Topic, Copied, deleted twice then resorted and safely merged... Whew...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: "Tripped on bobo..."|1097590481 -->

What Slow? You thought It was a discussion about screens for your Trailer?
rock.gif
laugh.gif

Bummed Were ya?

If you don't dig it, leave it...
wink.gif

Apparantly most of those posting above care... STFU

Back