ops back to stock

HOOKDADDY

Registered
ok wth major scare i put on a set of shorty went for first ride front breaks locked up wth almost went down manage to get her on the side of the road(man has antone tried pushing a busa with the front break locked what a monster) removed the frontbreak lever freed up wheel now its time to tip toe back home wit no front breaks any 1 no why this happen

Whoa!! That's crazy, wonder what caused it 2 happen?? Glad you was able 2 save it and keep you and the bike in 1 piece :beerchug:

1) Glad you're OK! :thumbsup:
2) You think the lever caused this? ???
3) If the front brake was locked, you wouldn't have been able to push the bike. :whistle: ;)

Only thing I can think of is that when the brake lever was pulled it engaged the brakes but then didn't
allow the return of the piston at the reservoir tank. Maybe to tight of a fit to allow it to back out?

Let us know what you find out.

There is a small pushrod/pin in the master cylinder that fits into a hole in the lever adjuster.
If that pin isn't seated correctly it will pop out and bind. Because the cylinder in the lever that hole for the pushrod is in, it rotates.
My friend had a 636 that did the exact same thing as you described.
The hole for the pin in the lever adjuster was not machined correctly. The pushrod/pin in the MC could not fully extend/release after the front brakes were released, so the brakes stayed applied.
This seems to be common with cheap levers.
I have had cheapos on a few bikes and never had an issue; but it is something you need to be aware of and make sure is functioning properly when you install them. Cheap parts are usually just that, cheap. The only reason I've used cheap levers is that I know they are just as good as the cheap cast stock levers.
Make sure the pin is seated correctly in the hole.
Also make sure the depth and diameter of the hole is same on the aftermarket lever as it is on the stock lever.
This should solve your problem.

Cheap Junk Levers, bind can cause it. The tolerance on junk not good as properly machined ones or if perch over tightened... Good Luck...

1) Glad you're OK! :thumbsup:
2) You think the lever caused this? ???
3) If the front brake was locked, you wouldn't have been able to push the bike. :whistle: ;)

tell me about it the breaks were locked me and another guy had to push /shove her out the street once i took the cheapo off breaks released stocks back on no problem now

thanks for the input guys at this point i dont know if i will mess wit it any more the stock ones are working well but i did like the way the shorty fell Oh yea sixpac i added badend mirrors awwwwww best mod ever

thanks for the input guys at this point i dont know if i will mess wit it any more the stock ones are working well but i did like the way the shorty fell Oh yea sixpac i added badend mirrors awwwwww best mod ever

Right on, I like bar end mirrors better than any other kind(just me).
I can see a lot better with them, I guess you can too?

Buy some ASV or Pazzo short levers if you liked how the cheap ones felt.

Hookdaddy, glad you got sorted out on this. Sounds like others have had similar, if less catastrophic, experiences. I'm glad to add this info to my "things to remember" file.

Well done Org!

Back