Clutch lever start relay

speedfreak069

Registered
Hi folks I changed my levers and the aftermarket one does not allow me to start the bike so I would like to bypass the clutch relay start switch. How can I get the bike to start with the aftermarket levers.

Tks
Joey

you don't want to ground that switch. You only want it to be active during the actual start of the bike. You can either add an inline pressure switch, wire up your own momentary on switch, or somehow rig the OE switch to work with the new lever you have.

I had wired a small button in mine.

P5283276_v2.jpg

I used a wire tap, the ones you get from autozone, walmart, any electronics or automotive store really. 4 years never had a problem.

You gotta punch out one side in a sense because out of those 2 tunnels, only one of them runs all the way through. The other is like a half tunnel but has a thin wall stopping it from being a full tunnel. Just use a small punch or straight pick to remove it, insert both wires by stretching the wire tap open like a big jaw, and crimping it on both wires. Voila! done.

I dont think they have black, but I just spray painted it black so it wouldn't show. Blends in well. Mine was originally blue, looked bad lol.

5601.gif

Last edited:
i never knew aftermarket levers caused this issue :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

I used a wire tap, the ones you get from autozone, walmart, any electronics or automotive store really. 4 years never had a problem.

You gotta punch out one side in a sense because out of those 2 tunnels, only one of them runs all the way through. The other is like a half tunnel but has a thin wall stopping it from being a full tunnel. Just use a small punch or straight pick to remove it, insert both wires by stretching the wire tap open like a big jaw, and crimping it on both wires. Voila! done.

I dont think they have black, but I just spray painted it black so it wouldn't show. Blends in well. Mine was originally blue, looked bad lol.

If you are using a stock ECU, doing this changes the fuel map and lowers the rpm limiter.

Last edited:
Those splice connectors come in all kinds of coloers and sizes.

Have you run your engine up to redline in any gear yet?

i never knew aftermarket levers caused this issue :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't worry, not all of them do. I'd say it's actually on the rare side. To get it to the point where adjusting the lever manually won't work, usually means there are other factors coming into play depending on how they have their bike set-up.

what brand of levers are they?

i had this problem. i re installed the lever and got a small amount of usability. dunno what was out of line. but the third time around something lined up and they work on the highest two settings.

very true. Most of the levers on the market are compatible with a clutch switch. It's more common when you swap in aftermarket master cylinders. :beerchug:

Don't worry, not all of them do. I'd say it's actually on the rare side. To get it to the point where adjusting the lever manually won't work, usually means there are other factors coming into play depending on how they have their bike set-up.

I'm gonna get a pair of the pazzo shorty copies on fleabay & try em out. hopefully they don't present this problem to me :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm gonna get a pair of the pazzo shorty copies on fleabay & try em out. hopefully they don't present this problem to me :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

Using the Pazzo shorties without problem.

EZ fix guys.I had the issue when i put in my brocks cam.Just unscrew the switch,bore the screw hole a little and u can slide it over a little so the little switch activates before the lever touches the grip.Same thing happens with some thicker frips.NOT ROCKET SCIENCE:moon:

My contacts needed cleaning a few months ago and it left me setting at a gas station until I figured it out,,
So you all are saying that if the button is left depressed,,it will mess with the fuel map and speed limitor? {leaveing it tied together],
And that it [only ] has to make contact momentarly on start up only? ,,,what locks it out when you shifting going down the road ? Not doubting,,just asking to see whats the bet way to by pass mine without an issue,,,suggesst away

Last edited:
EZ fix guys.I had the issue when i put in my brocks cam.Just unscrew the switch,bore the screw hole a little and u can slide it over a little so the little switch activates before the lever touches the grip.Same thing happens with some thicker frips.NOT ROCKET SCIENCE:moon:

what screw hole are you talking about?

Back