Dragon Closed 'til Sept 1st!

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
TailOfTheDragon.com is reporting that TNDOT has said that the Dragon will be closed until 9/1/2010 while they repair the rockslide area...

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

"TNDOT posted reopening date of 9/1 for the rock slide which closed the Dragon. See post below for details on how you can express your concerns. To those who are planning a trip to our area, there are hundreds of miles of other great roads here including the Cherohala, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, Blue Ridge ...Parkwa...y, etc. Check out our website for other great roads, and we'll be posting here as well."

Plenty to do, see and ride without the Dragon. Woohoo! Besides, good excuse to come to fall bash if you want to ride the dragon!

Puts a damper on those twisties, but like you said...plenty of other rides and roads~!~

Oh wow... what's the new plan?

Well, the biggest downfall will be for those that were going to ride the dragon for the first time. I encourage you to come along anyway, good times, great friends and there are still plenty of amazing sites to be seen all through the area... :thumbsup:

Oh, I'm still going, too - that was just informational for those, like me, that would normally have to come in on US-129... I guess I'll start planning my detour route(s). I was going to come the northern route through Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, but I'm thinking now that I'll stay south and come in via the Skyway.

The dragon is just one road.. I think Doc and I are headed South and East this year.. last year we went North to the Devil's Triangle.

I love exploring up there!!

it's only one road out of all the roads there. Yea, everyone wants to say "I rode the dragon" but honestly I don't consider it my favorite road in the area. I hope everyone will still enjoy the bash!

Omar - this from Brad at dealsgap.com

Wednesday March 24

WARNING FALSE INFORMATION BEING PUT OUT BY TDOT AND BEING REPORTED ON OTHER WEB SITES. Ok folks TDOT has confirmed that 1 Sep is NOT I say again NOT the expected reopen date for The Dragon. There twitter page is linked directly to there electronic message system for the highway. They have to put a date on it for the system to work so they just picked that one. I talked with them and they do not have a date. The contract will be awarded on Monday and that is when the Officale time schedual will be set. Again, 1 Sep is misinformation. I will post up the real info as soon as TDOT calls me.

Brad

More good info at dealsgap.com to be found. Seems Brad is really keeping tabs on things and the states appear willing to work with each other so perhaps most of US129 can be opened for the season. There's no need for the roadblock to be placed where it's currently at.

Last edited:
I'm still going! That's my only chance to see some of my friends snd I personally like the Skyway the best anyway. If the Dragon is open, that is just bonus. :beerchug:
Posted via Mobile Device

That's better news...I was just passing on what I saw on their website...

Pfft, dont matter to me.

I am just gonna throw the keys to Mr. Busa to the wife and let her go galavant about whilst I stay at the cabin, enjoy milk and cookies and bathe in the world's lack of access to me!
That, and try to pick up chicks at the local bar b que joint:whistle: They some sho nuff hotties up that way!

Pfft, dont matter to me.

I am just gonna throw the keys to Mr. Busa to the wife and let her go galavant about whilst I stay at the cabin, enjoy milk and cookies and bathe in the world's lack of access to me!
That, and try to pick up chicks at the local bar b que joint:whistle: They some sho nuff hotties up that way!

LOL, just bring some cracklins for me, we'll need something to snack on while BOB is whooppin ur ass all the way back from that bbq joint :laugh:

and yeah, there's all kinds of things going on in the background between NC and TN governmental groups to try and expedite the reopening

Back