Where to buy "big guy" leathers

cbibb

Registered
So when i ran my first 1/4 pass last night I was told that I would not be able to continue without leather pants. Here is my problem, I am 5'8" 230 (without gear) ex competitive bodybuilder. Still lifting but not competing. Problem is my legs are really big from years of squats and deadlifts. I went to my local cyclegear and tried on sizes all the way up to 42. I was swimming in them around my waist, but could barely get them over my thighs. And there was no way I could bend my leg with them on. Any ideas on where to get leathers for someone in my situation? Or should I get them really big and have them tailored? Thanks guys!

I went to my local cyclegear and tried on sizes all the way up to 42. I was swimming in them around my waist, but could barely get them over my thighs. And there was no way I could bend my leg with them on.
cry me a river lol. I wish I had ur problem. I squat heavy and do heavy dead lifts and have trouble putting size on my legs.

id say ur gonna have to have them custom tailored. I'm sure there are leather shops down there that could make u a custom pair that fit perfect. no need to get a big pair and hav em tailored.

Thats what I was afraid of. Not to start a lifting thread, but one thing that I like to do is pre-exhaust my legs. I do all my extensions, curls etc and do presses last. Cant do squats anymore due to 3 fused disc, and 4 knee surgeries. Another thing that really brought in the top of my legs are inner/outer abductors. I know alot of people call them "girly excercises" but a pro bodybuilder is the one who turned me on to them, and they work great.

SYED Leathers
There is nothing like having a set of leathers made for your size and shape. The price is high but is worth it, if nothing else it makes stay at the same size. I had mine done by Adolph at Z's in CA but Syed in your neck of the woods.

I'd have to say the two biggest names in drag racing leather are Vanson, and Bates. I have custom Bates but can't recommend them due to their customer service. I've had some off the shelf Vanson stuff and it is excellent quality.

When I was looking for new leathers I went to a local shop that was a dealer for Vanson and they told me Vanson's customer service was bad when it came to custom fit racing leathers. Weird that their own dealer would throw them under the bus. As there is always 3 sides to every story, a part of me thinks that the shop didn't make the same profit margin on Vanson as the road race leathers they were trying to push me towards.
In my case when you run SCTA your leathers can't have any stretch panels beside armpits and under the knees so it takes road race leathers out and you have to pretty much go with custom fit since there is no give.
If that is the case where you can't have any stretch panels (I don't know what drag race rules are) I would definitely go with one of the "old school" shops that had to make leathers before Kevlar stretch panels were available, Bates, Vanson, Z Custom Leathers.

FallenArch just posted a thread about a custom set of leathers he had made for him. The company is called Spartan leathers. He spoke highly of the quality and customer service. Fallen is a pretty Big guy so if they can make a set 4 him you should have no problems. Do some digging around on here and find hiss thread and see 4 yourself

Stretch panels (unless corregated leather) are an absolute no-no in my book. After seeing my buddy go down I bought my Bates. The stretch panels are in no way as strong as leather .... no biggie you don't rub your armpits or back of the knees ... but when the leather is dragging and the stretch material tears the leather rolls around the leg or arm and you have skin exposed that you don't want exposed. He got some road rash on his arm and on is lower back. I'm sure he paid more at the hospital for the road rash than my custom leathers cost. My leathers have no stretch material, and no perforations, no vent zippers, nada. They do have padded knees and elbows with double thick leather there.

I had off the shelf Vansons and had a couple issues. They were very good to deal with and actually didn't charge for the repair (torn crotch) because they knew that the style of pants I had didn't really fit like they should. They replaced the torn panels and reworked the pants to fit me better for nothing. Another time I got a zipper replaced. I think I paid $75 and they got them done and shipped in less than two weeks, no issues at all.

Back