Anybody made their own cut drag seat?

89mustang

Registered
I'm having a problem and I'm pretty sure it's slowing me down at the track. When I take off I keep sliding back and hit the the hump in the back. I have a Corbin seat and its like ice. I'm tore on just buying one from ballz they look extremely nice but $$$ because I don't have seat exchange. Any advice cut your own or just buy one?

cut seat requires cut rails. hav ur stock seat modified. I had mine made with a small lip and it keeps me right in the seat.

IMG_0031.jpg

When I bought the bike it had a Corbin installed so I don't have a stock seat.
so buy one their cheap. then u can have it custom made how u want it vs. buying one that everyone else has. seats are not a one size fits all. everyone has a different shape, weight, height, purpose, etc... plus u can have suede leather put on it so u don't slide. I don't know any of the ones from ballz that offers that. their quality control is garbage anyway.

check fleabay or PM golden child. I'm sure he cud hook u up with one.

My buddy made his for his stock frame bike. Just so happens he also installed a 10 or 12 over gixxer 1000 tail at the same time. Basically what he did was cover the frame opening with making tape, then loaded Turtle Wax across the tape, tank, and frame, then laid fiberglass across and built up into the shape he wanted. In his case he molded it into the tail so it is a one piece, but you could do it separate if you wanted to. It turned out real well. You could use this as a seat pan and get foam and vinyl added, or do like him and just sit directly on it.

With a stock seat, just modify it yourself. Do it gradually too, that way you get exactly what you want.
I've done several seats, they aren't hard.
All you need is an electric knife($10 at walmart), a staple gun, and patience.
I've also modified a Corbin. Just keep in mind that you won't get the Corbin cover to fit right it you cut it down and make a hump(I just did some trimming and added gel). The Corbin cover is also rivotted on, but it will pull tightly back over the seat.
Cheapest solution, just remove the seat when you drag race. It'll get your body position and center of gravity that much lower anyway.

I ended just buying used stock seat. I don't want to mess up the Corbin. Any pointer on re attaching the seat cover. What kind of staple gun and in guessing short staples haha

.22 gauge is wat most use.

why don't u just send it out to hear....Kalin Motorcycle Seats which is where I sent mine to.

u spend a LOT of time on ur ass so if u want to ride comfortably send it to a professional who can put gell in there as well as quality leather that won't come apart. I'm sure u cud do it urself but it will likely look like u did it urself. can't really hide a badly upholstered seat...

It's really just for the track. I have a nice seat to cruise on. I just want something that's gonna kinda hold me in place better than the Corbin.

Not a dedicated drag bike but I run it at the track a lot. Still cruise it around and I am planning on taking it back to the dragon this upcoming spring all raised up of course

garage_attachment.php
[video]https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/garage_attachment.php?id=3711&attach_type=full[/video]

get a stock seat take the cover off. take a saw and cut the front off in front of the mounting bracket. trim the foam out to desired shape and have a upholstery shop re-cover it. mine has two parts stitched together for the rise in the back. it will help keep you in the saddle.

Exactly what I was looking for. I still wanna use a seat because its a big transition getting your feet on the pegs with a seat vs. without having one on. Thank you for the link and the pics

[video]https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/garage_attachment.php?id=3711&attach_type=full[/video]

get a stock seat take the cover off. take a saw and cut the front off in front of the mounting bracket. trim the foam out to desired shape and have a upholstery shop re-cover it. mine has two parts stitched together for the rise in the back. it will help keep you in the saddle.

Think I'm gonna have to try cutting up a stock seat. I'm looking for a dedicated drag seat. I took my seat off and sat on the bike to see how it felt and what a difference. Really felt like I was in a cockpit and not on top of the bike. Thanks for the tip. :beerchug:

Last edited by a moderator:
It may sound weird, but try taking your seat off and sitting on the battery. Thats what I do every time I ride Fiends bike. Its a little uncomfortable but it definitely keeps your ass planted. He has a seat pan but My ass always slides back leaving the line.

I didn't even attempt doing mine myself and having it come out looking even halway decent. I sent mine to Lee @ New Image.
In regards to staying planted on the seat; The material that Lee uses helps just as much as the raised area at the rear of the seat. I couldn't be more pleased.

20140925_200858_zpsfc14dca3.jpg

Back