Proper use of lowering straps?

BoostCreep

Registered
I've heard a couple of things.

1. Push down hard on the front and have a buddy get the strap as tight as possible
2. Lower it maybe an inch or two
3. You don't want to lower it at all, you just want it snug or else it will cause the front end to wash out.

How the hell do you guys use these things? Also for reference, I have no desire to use these things on the street, I will keep them on but they will be loose.

sit on the bike.
grab the strap with your left hand
roll the bike forward
then grab the brake and pull the strap at the same time.
put the front end in the dirty.
compress as much as you can

sit on the bike.
grab the strap with your left hand
roll the bike forward
then grab the brake and pull the strap at the same time.
put the front end in the dirty.
compress as much as you can

This is what I do. A couple things I would add is continue to push down on the front end for a second after pulling the strap or there will be a tendancy to pop back up a bit. Also, if the track is slippery I'll not pull the strap as tight let the bike transfer a little more weight to the rear due to the higher center of gravity.

I put the bike on the trailer and then attach the transport straps on the lower triple and the front of the trailer. I rachet them all the way down, then hook up the fork strap just under taught, then release the transport straps. Then when it's time to go home i just do it all over, but pop the fork strap off. Took 0.4 off my ET the first night out.

Make sure you run the strap properly (under the lines/off the neck, etc.) so there is no binding or clearance/turning issues when it's strapped. :thumbsup:

I've seen people run them down right over the lines and pinch everything to heck and wonder why the bike doesn't ride right... :banghead:

Don't bottom them out leave a little room for weight transfer and if you land a wheelie it has room to compress and dampen the landing.

make sure you run the strap properly (under the lines/off the neck, etc.) so there is no binding or clearance/turning issues when it's strapped. :thumbsup:

I've seen people run them down right over the lines and pinch everything to heck and wonder why the bike doesn't ride right... :banghead:

x2

don't bottom them out leave a little room for weight transfer and if you land a wheelie it has room to compress and dampen the landing.

knocks the wind out of your ass

I run an aftermarket top cover to allow me to lower the bike. I ran a strap to keep the weight transfer from having a slide-hammer effect lifting the front. Supporting the bike, I would set on the bike in riding position and pull it down ¼” down from the resting place.

I would not recommend running on the street, even if it was not tight.

One last thing, I'm going to order one from Shnitz and they have an option for a heavy duty strap. At what point do you need something like that, also would something like that be uncomfortably thick going around the fork?

Called them up - Their 'Heavy Duty' is another brand they carry, same width and everything. I'm just going with their standard duty as I'm being told the Heavy Duty is on back order.

Brocks Strap end kit is a very nice part to add to it. Although it is a bit expensive, I found it worth it. It gets the buckle down close to the caliper to keep it from getting into the radiator or the bodywork.

I found I had to also grind the factory strap ends to get them to set correctly against the caliper bolt boss as well. The 2-3 strap brands I saw were all the same way and had to be modified for my taste.

Lowering Strap End Kit - BPP@

Back