track gearing

him

"THE HAYABUSA STUNT GUY"
Donating Member
Registered
What gearing are you using for the track. Im looking to get some better track times and have decided that i dont need to go 186 mph so i wouldnt mind changing the gearing. Ive heard some say 16 in the front or 43 in the rear or even one 16/44 setup. Which is the best for teh track?

not for sure but I think stock rear and a 16 tooth up front is suppose to get you to just about red line in 4th right at the 1/4 mile mark.

If your running the track and the street then I recommend 16/42 that's what I run and it's great in either place...  
evil.gif

Thanks stun i'm gonna go with the 16/42 setup

16-42..Way too much gear for the 1/4 mile if You have a stock arm..

Just IMO..
From what I've read 16/42 depending on what kind of HP your bike is producing may not be enough gear for the 1/4...Most of the big time racers are geared so that they go thru the gears in the 1/4...16/42 at stock length on a stock bike is a great setup for the street or track...Makes the power come on a little sooner but still allows you to cruise on the highway without the bike whining in the higher rpms...I've tried alot of different combinations and this is the one that works best for the style of riding I do...
evil.gif

Since im on a bike probably making very little over stock power this setup should work for me right.

Well 1 down in the front is = to 2.5 up in the rear plus 2 on top of that is 4.5 up..Way too much for stock arm at any HP..I have mostly stock motor Myself and for Me 17-42 is perfect, real close to rev limter right at the line..

I've been 9.34 @ over 150mph in the 1/4 with this set up..and I weigh 185lbs in street clothes..if You have a arm or are real heavy maybe more gear would help,with that set up its going to be hard to get out of the hole without wheeling..And it would be reving alot more on the highway,not less..

I have tried alot of combos Myself..this is a pretty good set up..trust Me!!

<!--EDIT|E-RACER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104127183 -->

What were you runnin prior to these times? I have also heard people say 43 up not to many 42s

Well its going to be more than a gear change to run those numbers..You could also just swap the front sprocket-1 tooth in between 42-43 and will give you more wheelbase..

I just happen to have a perfect -1 sprocket for Ya..$22.00 shipped to Your door..

Let Me know if ya want it,its alot cheaper than a rear and You will loose wheel base with a bigger rear sprocket unless you get a longer chain..

steel or aluminum. I might have to take you up on that

Thanks man i can get a brand new one for the same price shipped. And thanks for the advice too

E-Racer is right 16/42 is to much gear unless you weigh alot. I just run a 16 up front on my bike and I think for a stock wheelbase bike thats all it needs.

I like 16/42 on my bike. Both my gears are aluminium. I have ran it stock 17/40 and couldnt get off the line worth a hoot. Went to 16/42 it comes out good but is harder to ride due to tire spin and fighting wheelies. It is now -1 in the front and I ran the best time with that gear. I now have a better tire and a strap for the front so I gota go back to the 16/42 and try it. You just gota try different set ups and see what works for you. I know guys around here running 16/39 and they go a hell of lot faster than me.
I guess I weigh alot though 275 and like they said above that makes a big difference

Back