First Time Out

hyyaqt

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I finally went to the local track and wanted to see just what I could do.  I mean, watching is only relevant if you know how fast you can go, right?  Anyway, my first time out, I made about 9 or 10 passes (counting two on my wife's GSXR 600).  Best ET was 11.0321 @134.37.  I'm a baby on take-offs, or I could've done better.  I think it was the tension, cause I have gotten better starts on the street.  

Anyway, I know you guys like pics and info so here it goes:
P.S.  Please excuse the camera woman, it was her first time using our new toy also!

11.30 Run
Reaction = 1.1862
60 Ft = 2.1402
330 Ft = 5.1964
1/8 ET = 7.5892
1/8 MPH = 104.92
1000 ET = 9.6059
1/4 ET = 11.3026
1/4 MPH = 131.62

11.28 Run
Reaction = 0.8025
60 Ft = 2.0705
330 Ft = 5.1702
1/8 ET = 7.5617
1/8 MPH = 105.14
1000 ET = 9.5842
1/4 ET = 11.2822
1/4 MPH = 132.39

Best ET - sorry wife didn't film this one
Reaction = 1.2361
60 Ft = 2.1180
330 Ft = 5.0151
1/8 ET = 7.3368
1/8 MPH = 106.74
1000 ET = 9.3513
1/4 ET = 11.0321
1/4 MPH = 134.37

Hey ur in my neck of the woods. Didnt notice it till i seen gulfport dragway. Been planning on taking my bike there. Waiting on full set of leathers. To see what i can manage. Well i say u did a good job for the first time. Its like every thing else, takes time and pratice. Plus good job on the video. Got to learn to do that myself. Do u know anyone at the gulfcoast sportbike club?

<!--EDIT|bs72069
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099909669 -->

looks bout like what i did if you get your reaction time down you should be good. I've only been twice but heres a tip. Start your launch process before the light turns green. Like right before and you should have a good rt. my best rt was a .428 but i did a monster wheelie so dont know how much it would have helped my time. Good shot anyway just takes practice

Hey ur in my neck of the woods. Didnt notice it till i seen gulfport dragway. Been planning on taking my bike there. Waiting on full set of leathers. To see what i can manage. Well i say u did a good job for the first time. Its like every thing else, takes time and pratice. Plus good job on the video. Got to learn to do that myself. Do u know anyone at the gulfcoast sportbike club?
Yes, I know a lot of people in Gulf Coast Sportbike. I was a member myself. I also was there with a guy I work with (running his busa), and another guy from the club. We basically just wanted to see what we could do. I'll probably go again, because I had a great time. They weren't soooo impressed, said it was just Straight-lining and anyone could do it. But I didn't see all of the ones talking all that smack getting out there on the track! I know all leathers is a great idea, but you do know you can run out there with a leather jacket and full leather gloves, right? I just thought I'd bring that up, because some think you can't run without full leathers. P.S. Thanks for the good word. I wasn't totally happy, I wanted to run something in the 10's, but for now 11.03 will have to do.

Good job...Your right at the 10's...Launch a bit harder and your there...Concentrate on the 60' that's where the time is...
evil.gif

Great job and thanks for posting that ... I'm one of those "wanna-be's" that plans to get on the track sooner or later. I applaud your "just doing it!"

Thanks again for the encouragement guys. That's why I like this board, people on here usually don't make fun of you and try to offer a little advice to help you out, even if you are a newbie.

Thanks again for the encouragement guys.  That's why I like this board, people on here usually don't make fun of you and try to offer a little advice to help you out, even if you are a newbie.
of course we'll make fun of you...but fact of the matter is your runnin just as fast as the rest of us. Unless they been racing for years or have turbos, nos, engine work.

Yes, I know a lot of people in Gulf Coast Sportbike.  I was a member myself.  I also was there with a guy I work with (running his busa), and another guy from the club.  We basically just wanted to see what we could do.  I'll probably go again, because I had a great time.  They weren't soooo impressed, said it was just Straight-lining and anyone could do it.  But I didn't see all of the ones talking all that smack getting out there on the track!  I know all leathers is a great idea, but you do know you can run out there with a leather jacket and full leather gloves, right?  I just thought I'd bring that up, because some think you can't run without full leathers.  P.S.  Thanks for the good word.  I wasn't totally happy, I wanted to run something in the 10's, but for now 11.03 will have to do.
So u know Papa Rickie then. Didn't know about the full leather thing. A couple people told me u needed it. Since i dont need it and when i back home next month and the strip isnt closed or anything I'll try to make it down there for a couple runs. I figure a couple runs taped from the side line and couple with the cam mounted on the bike.
Do u have the stock exhaust on ur bike or aftermarket?

<!--EDIT|bs72069
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099973148 -->

Dont know how it works there but at the track here if your trap speed is greater than 125 you need full leathers or they'll kick you out. Also if you were any 9s you need a comp license.

bs..... I just have Yoshi bolt on exhaust, stock height. The only mod, motor wise, is I removed the pair valve. I feel that it smoothed out the bike, and it definitely got rid of the popping from the yoshi's that I put on.

Gulfport's regs are 9.99 or quicker and you need full leathers and a dead man switch., otherwise you're ok.

Hey whats the deal with elevation. Is it higer up you run slower or lower? Just wondering you might be beatin yourself up over your time for nutin. You guys are below sea lvl right. Well i know when i went you were:D

I think we are around sealevel. Hyyaqt what day of the week did u go there. Doesnt look like there was alot of people there at the dragway. Plus got to go to suzuki city and if their dyno is up, have them tweek my power commander.

<!--EDIT|bs72069
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100059346 -->

are you sure youre not below cause i was down there when it rained and the whole airforce based down there flooded. and to make matters worse i was on my bike, stopped in a puddle of water up to my calf sucked. Hey do you know a guy down there that has a chrome gsxr 1000 and a red truck sittin on 24s. cant remember his name

yeah, we're right at sea level. And yes, Suzuki City's dyno is up and running!

hyyaqt,

Not bad for your first time out but you have a lot of learning to do, which only comes with time and practice....practice....practice......
wink.gif

You need to slip the clutch more and be smoother with the release. Listen to the video how your engine revs and then as you let the clutch out to quick, the motor bogs. That is killing your 60' big time! YOu also need to get you body lower on the tank. You should be launching almost in a full tuck!

The other main thing that is killing your time/MPH is shifting! You need to be shifting without the clutch (hand) lever! You should just be bliping the throttle and then WOT again. This should get you close to the 140's! With a proper launch and NO WHEELIE, you should get low/mid 140's with your setup.

Once you get serious, you can lower it and go even quicker! If you can get down to 9.9-10.2 STOCK you are ridding it well. Once you lower it, you should be mid/high 9's consistently!
biggrin.gif

Good luck! Wish I was still stationed at Keesler AFB to show you what I mean. Let us know your progress.

Josh
blues.gif

P.S. If the track is NHRA certified they are required to wear full leathers if over 125MPH. Otherwise, a kill is only required running faster than 9.9! Most of the smaller tracks overlook these rules to increase people to show up and run! Otherwise, they won't race!
sad.gif

hyyaqt,

After listening to your runs a couple more times, it sounds like your NOT getting WIDE OPEN THROTTLE in first!  You are reving it out but it doesn't sound/look to be accelerating FAST enough!
rock.gif
blush.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100274538 -->

just watched the video man looks like your in someones back yard:laugh:
but yeah youre not being aggressive enough on the launch.

Back