First Time Ever

loboboy

Donating Member
Registered
I finally went to the track and ran the Bike. First time ever down the 1320 and I progressively got better each time but still need work.

10.76 1/4 1.84 60ft 132MPH at the traps, stock motor, stock suspension settings and I weigh 300lbs. What is needed to drop closer to 10.0's. Any help would be great.

Practice Bro.  But really, breaking the 10's on your first trip out?  Not too horrible.  Practice practice practice....

Oh and maybe ask Cache specifically.  He's kinda my Hero...  WAY Fast on a lowered Busa...  

Lower your busa, (DogBones) and a new Tripple Cover.  Re-gear it.  Then maybe get a BDE Clutch Cushion, and maybe pickup a  clutch rebuild kit just in case.  
thumbs-up.gif

Oh and read this...  Might be some worthwhile tips here... BDE's How to Slam and Prep a Busa...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098742645 -->

Only thing I really disagree with is the use of Lowering Straps...  I would prefer to drop the forks a little and still have a usefull front suspension.  But, I guess the straps have been used for years.

Also, being effective off the line with a bunch of people around? I allways found that a whole lot more difficult, all the nerves and adrenaline.... Mess with your RT.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098742949 -->

thanks Rev, I was pretty happy considering it was the first time ever I went down the track in or on anything. I am going to lower the bike and change the front sprocket and see how that goes. I will probably start racing next year and get serious about it so wish me luck.

thumbs-up.gif
Good Luck man. Like I said try to get Cache's attention. If nothing else he can prolly point you towards some good drag racing links...
wink.gif

I see Cache has a cheerleader. J/K Relvis. The use of a strap is fine for track use only though. Definitely regear it,I'm not sure what you should go with but you might get a little help at Psychobike.com. You are doing great for a BIG guy.Sometimes it'll take awhile for a response but you'll get a couple. That site has the fastest and quickest people on no bar bikes is the world. All the world record holders on no bar bikes are on there. I might have a set of dogbones you'd be interested in. PM your e-mail and I'll send ya pics. Good luck and if you have any questions I'd be happy to help. I run a 2000 Busa extended an inch and a half,stock bore,ported head,bored throttle bodies,etc.... and Run 9.1's. I'm 200#'s.

Jim

Yo man thats not to bad my first time out i ran a 10.5 but i only weight 175 pounds so ur way ahead of me. I was kinda embrassed casue i was the slowest busa but i had so much fun it didnt matter. Are you only making your bike a drag bike or do you ride the twisties? I say these adjustable dog bones that you dont have to unbolt you just twist a nut to expand or contract them. I do use the racing straps but only at the track it helps keep the front end down and improves your time a little...that is unless you pin the throttle of the line than dont matter how low it is its commin up. I use these so i can still ride throught the curves like a SOB. Good luck hope ya drop in the 10s like you want i just want the 9s so i can brag and say that i really have the fastest bike made and i know how to ride it. A little tip from one rookie to another...you know how you see those guys with their throttle had all jacked up at the start and when the tree goes green they twist it all the way down....dont do that i did it twice and didnt work for me

Planning on take the bike to the track one day. Just for the hell of it. and to see what i can do in the 1/4.

<!--EDIT|bs72069
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098796056 -->

I'm not going to make a purpose built drag bike until I have another bike to ride. My wife and I enjoy riding the twisties too much and I don't want to have to change the bike everytime i want to go rip up the back roads, she rides a Honda 600.

I am waiting to see if the rumors are true about the update in 06 and then the bike I have now will become the dragger. Life could not be any better when you have 2 Busa's
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I would love to have the nerve to try the strip. To be honest, yesterday was the first time I have had the front wheel off the ground and I have almost 8 thousand miles this year on her. I guess I am taking it easy and learning as I go. Congrats on your times!

ahh man theres noting to it light turns green twist the throttle and hold on. Might have to shift every couple of seconds but thats it

Hi guys I am new to the board here and I was reading him's reply can you tell me more about these adjustable lowering links or send me to a link that has them I too am just beginning the 1/4 mile trek with my best time after 10 runs of 10.91 @130.55 mph just couldnt keep the front wheel down and was crossing the line in 4th gear wheel shoulder height so ye I also am looking for ideas

cheers guys

well my buddy there are 2 kinds of adjustable lowering links.  You got your dog bones
dog bones
and these
others

i more inclined to get these becasue i dont have to unbolt anything to change the hieght of the bike.  I also had a strap on my bike when i ran which helped with wheelies.  I straped casue i still like to ride curves.  If you are just wantin a drag bike then you can get a new triple tree.  Heres a website that i usually look at for tips it has more stuff but i havent gotten any of it yet.  Being a cheap as im waiting for it to show up on ebay.
drag info

<!--EDIT|him
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098965292 -->

the only cheerleader I got was 4 Hooters chicks fightin for photo shoot after a Seattle event...........
post-12-92624-dragbike.jpg

anywhoo...... Revlis has not had many heroes in life, and hence, I am also not afraid of Emus.

loboboy, biggest problem you have is the weight. not that it's a problem, but I shaved 100lbs off stock busa weight... and I weigh 160lbs suited.
Stock motor should be hitting the traps at 142 to 145mph. I think your just not getting full throttle soon enough.

Post up your time slip incrementals, and I may be able to guide you a bit more.
Even though race season is pretty much over......................

My last race is Halloween, and I'm gonna put some ZX12 stickers on my busa.
That should be scary!  
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|cache
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099095142 -->

Cache you right, my wieght is my biggest downfall right now. Oh Well. Draggin is not my main thing right now so no big deal. I think with some practice and like you said get to full throttle sooner I can improve on my times. I'll keep trying and see where that gets me.

Great job first tmie out , i'll be happy if my times were that good first time

Back