my buddys kz900 9.20 1/4

NIGHTFLIGHT

Banned
34splw9.jpg

25 - 30 years ago the Z1, GS, and even the H2 were the bad boys of the street. It was quite a feat to get a street driven version into the 10s, and there were a couple that even got into the mid 9s as street bikes. I still have time slips of 9.40 at 140 mph for my H2 that was outragous for 1980. Time marches on, and the GSXR1100 and ZX11 and Blackbird and ZX12 and Busa all make it look easy. Now almost anyone can take a Busa or ZX14 and run 9s on the first day out at well over 145 mph and get 35 mpg on the way home from the track. Do you wonder were we will be in another 30 years? Will bikes be on average 300 HP at the tire, or are we at the pinnacle right now? Some technologies (such as electronics) accelerate forward at frightening rates, and some technologies (such as aviation and aerospace) peak and never get back to the moon. Just have to wait and find out...

Well put I like busas Im on my 2nd but there something 2 be said for a well maintained bike from the 70,s. I THINK BEST 2 BIKES EVER MADE WERE KZ1000+GS1100:bowdown:

i TRIED TELL A FEW YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS ON HERE WHILE BACK A 750 2 CYCLE CAN TAKE A BUSA.THERE LIKE NO WAY THEY MUST NEVER HEARD OF PAUL GAST OR ELECTRON CARBS.THEY JUST KEPT SNAPPING THERE WHIPS @ ME. :laugh:

S/C BIKE RUNS 8.90 STANDERD KZ900

Last edited:
25 - 30 years ago the Z1, GS, and even the H2 were the bad boys of the street. It was quite a feat to get a street driven version into the 10s, and there were a couple that even got into the mid 9s as street bikes. I still have time slips of 9.40 at 140 mph for my H2 that was outragous for 1980. Time marches on, and the GSXR1100 and ZX11 and Blackbird and ZX12 and Busa all make it look easy. Now almost anyone can take a Busa or ZX14 and run 9s on the first day out at well over 145 mph and get 35 mpg on the way home from the track. Do you wonder were we will be in another 30 years? Will bikes be on average 300 HP at the tire, or are we at the pinnacle right now? Some technologies (such as electronics) accelerate forward at frightening rates, and some technologies (such as aviation and aerospace) peak and never get back to the moon. Just have to wait and find out...

For the time, they are amazing bikes but with the technology today I just couldn't own something like that now.

In street legal form, that is impressive but barely running that on a slick AND wheelie bar is a waste IMO. I just can't get excited about a bike that can barely run with my street bike that uses a slick, slider, bar, etc.. I want it to run the same on the track as the street. :thumbsup:

As a hobby only, I just can't be impressed with something that spends 98% of it's time in the garage or shop and 2% of it's life on the track. I understand technology has gotten us here but I sure don't want to go back... :laugh:

Lectrons Nightflight. They have nothing to do with atomic particles or electricity.
Posted via Mobile Device

There is nothing like the hit from a 2 stoke on the pipe. By the late 70s, triple engine 2 strokes were the rage. That was when Buffalo NY was the center of the drag bike universe and Paul Gast was the king. Here are some REAL vintage photos of me onf my H1 street bike in 1980. Yes, street bike. Raise the wheelie bars to go to work the next morning.
H11980.jpg

What can I say about this paint job. ?? It was the mid 80s, and this H2 only weighed 285 lbs but did the quarter at 145 mph.

H21987.jpg

By the early 90s, Paul Gast had bought up damn near every running 2 stroke ever made and the parts were almost impossible to find. This was one of the last passes before moving on to more modern equipment.

H21991.jpg

Last edited:
Just wondering, what kind of times were these old school bikes running setup the way most on here have thier new busa's setup? Like pipe, lowered, longer swingarm? Those two stroke tripples look pretty cool. Ive never seen one, but I could only imagine what it would have sounded like:thumbsup:

Just wondering, what kind of times were these old school bikes running setup the way most on here have thier new busa's setup? Like pipe, lowered, longer swingarm? Those two stroke tripples look pretty cool. Ive never seen one, but I could only imagine what it would have sounded like:thumbsup:

Its difficult to make a direct comparison between the late 70s streetbike scene, and the streetbike sceene today. For one thing, the bikes back then had horrible frames, suspensions, and swingarms. Bone stock, the motors far outpowered the chassies. Swingarms were made from 1.75 inch mild steel tubing, and weren't strong enough to stretch or add extensions to. The most popular solution to this delima was to bolt lowering struts in place of the dual pogo sticks that posed as shocks, and slide the fork tubes up the trees. If you dropped the tire pressure to 10 psi, these hardtails were almost acceptable on the street. Again, because the chassis' of the day were so bad and the power was so peaky and abrupt, it was very common to bolt a set of bars on the back; even for the street. The three bad bikes of the day, the GS, the Z1, and the H2 all had power plants that would easily double in power from ~55 hp at the tire, to easily ~110 hp or more, although there were several killer GS motors that were built up to around 165 hp that I had seen. Mid to low 10 second passes were pretty typical with a hot street bike back then, in comparison to today with Busa's, GSXR1ks, ZX10s, and 14s rolling off the street and running mid 9s.

In comparison, the scene in northern Europe was very different in the late 70s and early 80s. I lived in southern Belguim and later in Holland on and off during this time. In most of Europe, you could get your bike licence when you were 14 years old, but you were restricted to 250 CC bikes. The whole Mods - Rockers thing of the early 70s had evolved into small bore "250" two stroke superbikes with crazy modifications that we streetraced all night long. I was 14, 15 years old and living with this french girl who's dad had a welder, and I spent my time modifying close to 100 of these bikes; stuffing 400cc, 500cc, and the occasional 750cc 2-stroke motors into these tiny 250cc bikes. The RD 400 motor and Aprilla 500 motor were very popular among the kids back then. Most of the racing was in 1/10 mile strips in the back of industrial parks at 3AM in the morning. I would consider posting pictures, but I was such a geek back then:thumbsup:

Back