first time on the 1/4 mile what should i time should i expect?

eber820

Registered
i weigh about 230lbs. i have a 07 busa with jardine slip ons and everything else is stock. what time should i be running?

im no expert, i just discovered the joys of the 1/4 mile drag strip myself. That said the times could vary a great deal. I hit the mid to low 10 sec range my first day. I posted some stuff on it here on the org. So i would think that it should be in that range. There are a lot of things though that you can do to help out. at least from what i have been told. keep in mind this coming from a complete novice.
1. go with -1 +2 with the sprockets.
2. lower the bike with lowering links.
3. lower your rear tire pressure to around 30psi
4. ****this is a must. strap the front end down. This will help keep from wheelies.

Concentrate on your launch. the 60ft time. I started out launching at around 2500 to 3k rpms. I was getting between 10.25 up to 10.9 .. my 60ft was around 1.8 to 1.9 secs. not that great by any means but a good start at least. This last time I decided to change it up and I started my launch at 4500 to 5000 rpms. It was much improved for me at least. my 60ft went down to 1.69 to mid 1.7's. my times went down to 10.12 to 10.25. just on the edge of breaking into the nines... I just lowered her the other day with brocks lowing links and im looking forward to hitting the track again. might get into the nines now....
This is what i have discovered so far. Now, please understand that I have only been 3 times to the strip so take what i have said with a grain of salt. I AM NO EXPERT. Please anyone else who has a lot of experience, CHIME IN and correct me where I am wrong.
THe above has worked for me though. God its fun i gotta tell ya:thumbsup:

this is from my first trip. it was so much fun. Funny thing is, I have been a major fan of the knee dragging scene. Deals gap was like a wet dream come true for me. Now though, this is becoming possibly more fun. Its definitely cheaper and closer. :cheerleader:

july202009 076.jpg

what do you guys mean by strapping down the front to avoid wheelies. how do i do that?? sorry im a beginner

Radial mounted brackets that attach to your front calipers with a strap that wraps around the yoke (neck) and pulls your front end down. Does two things. Lowers the bikes center of gravity and adds weight to the front being the bike has to lift the engine and wheel weight now in order to wheelie vs. stretching the forks and popping up. Helps tons...plenty in stock as well.

If you've never drag raced before on a bike or in a car I would be happy with high-10's stock. If you've got some experience, I would expect mid-10's. Once you are comfy and seasoned you should be able to run 9's stock (unless you are at a high elevation or some other track with bad weather, etc. that will affect the times)... :beerchug:

The most important part is have FUN and be SAFE! You can always learn to go quicker, just live to ride another day... ;)

Radial mounted brackets that attach to your front calipers with a strap that wraps around the yoke (neck) and pulls your front end down. Does two things. Lowers the bikes center of gravity and adds weight to the front being the bike has to lift the engine and wheel weight now in order to wheelie vs. stretching the forks and popping up. Helps tons...plenty in stock as well.

ok i had never heard of this strap before. what is it called so i can look it up? anybody know how much its worth? sorry im kind of in a tight budget thats why im going with the cheaper mods for now. times are hard..lol

Back