Tryin to get low 10's Help! PIC INCLUDED

Jackhammer

Registered
Second time out to the track and my runs have been faster and faster (for a newbie) but i need sum serious advice to get my fat kankles down the track a little quicker. This sunday im supposed to race my childhood nemesis, he has a 67 camero that"ll run 10.5 flat. we've got friends & family comin to watch so i hav to represent. My best et is only 11.009 @131.86 mph.
Here's my setup:

300 lbs with leathers (ex bodybuilder):rofl:
07 stock
stock headers with no cans
110 race gas
20 psi rear tire

r/t .261
60 2.009
330 4.954
1/8 61.41
mph 61.41
1000 9.303
1/4 11.009
mph 131.86

drag strip.jpg

:cheerleader:

Rootin' for ya!

Bike looks great!

I have yet to get to a drag strip, but it's on my list. My bike is 100% stock as well so I'm curious to see what it'll do.

From reading around here, it seems that at 300 lbs with a pretty stock bike and a relatively inexperienced rider (you said you've only been to the strip twice) and a goal of getting your time down under 10.5 by Sunday (this Sunday, right?), you're best bet is practice. Folks train for years to become proficient at this stuff, so chances are you'll be able to improve the "throttle-to-seat" connector more than anything else.

There are obviously tons of mods that can be done to make the bike more capable, but I'm guessing that you won't be pouring thousands of dollars and the next 48 hours of time into the bike before Sunday.

Best of luck and let us know how you do! :cheerleader:

Last edited:
Thanks. Yeah im kinda on a "whatever my wife dont know wont hurt" budget, i used to race cars bout 15 years ago, but this bike is so sick, a couple times i realized i didnt hav the throttle pinned so i know there's room for improvement. I got a front strap comin 2marrow, and i plan on practicing this fri night @ the track.

Just work on your 60 foot and your transition from first to second, nothing else.....work from the same launch rpm everytime.

oh yeah i beat that guy w/ the green gixxer, said he'd been racing for 8 years....NOT!

Well done! :beerchug:

Racing for 8 years can mean racing three times a week for 8 years or it can mean racing once a year for 8 years. In any case, he didn't win against you and the Hayabusa! :thumbsup:

just curious, i did a search on the air box mod, i was'nt too clear on the pros & cons for my bikes setup. But will that mod help my top end charge? i know im a sleeper @ the line & my 60's suck bad, but i need @ least a half second by sunday :laugh:

Go to 16 front sprocket and a 42 rear to improve 60' times. You can use the stock chain for this setup. It would take a few hours to do the change and your speedometer will be out, but your 1st gear will be funfunfun! And again,practice,practice......

If you aren't spinning the tire raise the PSI back up around 32-36. When you are launching hard enough to spin, then start dropping pressure until then you are only dropping your MPH. Also, drain out the 110 octane gas and put some SHELL 87 pump fuel in the bike. That gas is probably hurting you more than anything with your mods...

Get your weight forward and over the front of the bike and leave hard... :thumbsup:

okay i'll air my tire back up, but without my air filter installed (only for track day) the race gas really gets the bike moving quicker, like you guys recommended i'll practice my launches, i'll try 7000 rpm and slip the clutch more, with a stock wheelbase jus didnt want to be staring @ the clouds when launching :bowdown:

okay i'll air my tire back up, but without my air filter installed (only for track day) the race gas really gets the bike moving quicker, like you guys recommended i'll practice my launches, i'll try 7000 rpm and slip the clutch more, with a stock wheelbase jus didnt want to be staring @ the clouds when launching :bowdown:

And therein lies the artistry of the pursuit. :beerchug:

Just work on your 60 foot and your transition from first to second, nothing else.....work from the same launch rpm everytime.

Your launch is going to be the ticket.

Does the front end come up after leaving the line? I find (this may not work for everyone) that if I run with more gas in the tank I run faster than on empty. I have to leave and gas up...I can use more power in first and second gear that way.

On empty I might as well short shift first gear around 6500 (stock sprocket), otherwise I'm flying high.

You run a lot better when able to use the available power and pin it. Just something to think about from personal experience. If I had someone play with suspension, etc I might not have the same experience.

Dont run the race gas (110), you are loosing power. Run some good 89 octane, or some vp mr11 if you want to go all out.

How is the race fuel hurting performance?

For that matter, if it hurts performance, why does it exist? Does it require certain mods to add performance and therefore a stock bike can't deal with the race fuel?

i've pondered the same question regarding race gas, wut will it hurt? I know everyone has different setups and get different results, but like i said before the bike really screams with the 110 octane. Maybe its the placebo effect, because i swear the bike is more ballsy with. Kinda like i stopped using creatine & N.O. products because i swear i was stronger. hahahahahaah got off the stuff & still managed to bench 405 ibs:rofl:

GPW can tell you some information on how gas works on modern day dynos, but back in the 80's they would run articles on testing pump gas in bikes. I remember one article in particular. It told the HP on 92 octane, then showed a little more HP on 90 octane, and so forth down to 87 octane gas. The 87 octane gas showed the most HP increase (for that bike) but then the motor blew from the detination involved.
With today's fuels, it's really hard to tell if octane actually = HP.

For example, I run 93 on the street. Never used 110 octane, but people say 87 octane pump gas would actually make better HP. Not a lot of people run 87 pump gas because of the damage that may be done on the motor if run hard. I do however run 87 octane MR9 which has a higher O2 content. I may be wrong, but I think this counter acts some of the detination involved.

I'm obviously no gas expert, just adding my .02

Back