Need a little help on the 60'

03LEBUSA

Registered
1st post but not totally newcomer, been a while and forgot complete user name and password so this is it now,Anyway Made my first 8 runs today since the swingarm extensions and if I was a bracket racer and 10.0 was my dial in I would be perfect but that aint the case. 03' orange Anniv bike Lowered front and rear, has a 4-1 and a Micron pipe. airbox mod and stock filter. 16-43 sprockets,TRE, about 4" out on the extensions Shinko stealth 200-50.
1.7021 is my best 60ft, I'm not spinning just not getting out hard enough I guess, I did get a 9.9052 @141 1 time all others 10.0 and change. is the trap speed about right? avg 1/8 was 6.45-6.65 @114, I'm 180 geared up, what do you think this should be capable of, I was disappointed when I got beat more than once by aa 08'cbr1000 only a pipe,sprocket and about 6-8"arm on it running between 9.45-9.60's and that was with stock tire, and I dont even wanna start w/the gen2 busa's any help or tips would be great thanks

Last edited:
O 1 more thing, bike has about 13k on it, no idea what has been done before I bought it 2yrs ago, when the bike is cold and today even after about 2 runs as I would let the clutch out the clutch started to chatter and even staging it it would do it but then after it was good and hot it stopped, the clutch grabs great, what ya think?

I would change out that 200 for a 190 tire and you should see your mph come up some. I trap 114 like you on a 200, but I get between 116-117mph with a 190 Shinko in the 1/8th. Not bad times though!

60' is all practice. That's where your time is made. Your mph is a little slow for your mods and weight, but given your 60's, your 1/8 et is about right. You should be able to get them down to consistent 1.5's with practice. Everybody does things different, you gotta find what works for you. I used to hold it around 6k and throw the clutch, but I've made some changes to the bike and can't seem to get it right anymore. I practice every chance I get, and it will eventually come back to me. As said above the 200 is overkill.

O 1 more thing, bike has about 13k on it, no idea what has been done before I bought it 2yrs ago, when the bike is cold and today even after about 2 runs as I would let the clutch out the clutch started to chatter and even staging it it would do it but then after it was good and hot it stopped, the clutch grabs great, what ya think?
Stage the bike with your feet, letting the bike pull against you is a good way to go thru a clutch pack in an evening.....
Take the plates out and look at them, if they're glazed or burned replace them with OEM.

so,I'm in the ballpark then just need to get the holeshot down, what about shift point on the stock tach, it seemed that my one 9.90 pass I wacked the rev limiter on the 2-3 and 3-4 shift tryin to stay with that cbr1000, other than that I was shifting right around 10 or 10.2k on the stock tach

yes footshifting, and once I get wide open I never lift on the throttle but I use the clutch to shift , i hear som guys say not to use clutch but then you would have to lift some on the throttle no?

Are you keeping the throttle down as it letting it hit the limiter between shifts?

The amount of time you spend pulling the clutch in and out is twice as long as it takes to blip the throttle and shift. I run 115 in the 8th and 143 in the 1/4 @ 100% stock. Learn how to throttle shift and you should see some pick up.

Are you keeping the throttle down as it letting it hit the limiter between shifts?

The amount of time you spend pulling the clutch in and out is twice as long as it takes to blip the throttle and shift. I run 115 in the 8th and 143 in the 1/4 @ 100% stock. Learn how to throttle shift and you should see some pick up.

no, you cant hear the rpm even go between shifts, as far as shifting and riding, i'm no rookie and drag racing not either, just on this bike. Just frustrating on the launch, b/c my 06 zx6r was bone stock just lowered and I was getting 10.68 @ 129 out of it and then to have a "BUSA" and only best 1 time 9.90 sucks, I know its a bigger more powerful bike aand seat time is the problem, is yours a genII ? if so you should be trapping more stock no?

If your foot shifting just blip of the throttle and bang the gear. Try youll like it. As for me I use a air shifter and I love it. Just started drag racing it this year. My 60' times are slow but Ima bigg guy and I need more gear. I am going to try a 45t and 47t this weekend and just keep practicing my launch.

thanks, I'm gonna buy an airshifter but I just would like to get the launch down before I do that, as far as gear goes you think if I take off the 43 in the rear and throw the stock 40 on it would help,I would still be -1 in the front, being I am not that heavy and seeing what guys are turning in the 1/4 on stock busa's, maybe with my inexperience on the launch it would help, I might take the sprocket w/me on the next trip. what about the shift point on gen1, I was around 10.2k or so , too low?

If a 40 t is the stock gear and you have a 43t on it now just stay with that or ya mite wanna go with a higher # like a 44 or 45. That will launch it harder and faster although it will increase the chance of popping up the front wheel. Do you have a strap on the front?

ya know i strapped it last sunday and ran a 10.2 then spun real bad the next run, so I took the strap off and ran a 9.90, then it was 10.0 after that all day, so actually I did fine w/no strap, front end seems ok as far as coming up, I have a problem twisting all the way, should probably do the throttle mod .

Don't use the clutch to shift. The BUSA makes to much power for that so you are probably hurting your clutches and I know that is a MPH killer also. Try blipping the throttle quick, should pick up a bunch from that if you can get it correct. Also, read Brock's Slammed-Prepped article for more info... ;)

thanks alot,i'll ty that tomorow night 1st pass , I ride my bike for fun and to work and stuff so I am not gonna go overboard on mods and stuff at least until i get another one to ride and make this my racer, but I dont see any reason why I cant get this to go 9.80 or better on a regular basis with what I got done, just can't believe what the gen2's are running out there

I hate to tell you this but you have to much sand.

Please next time you go to the track have one of the guys running good number ride your bike. Believe me you will have no more question. Its not the bike or the track it sand.

Back