Straping down the front

drizzit

Registered
Hi guys

After the race this weekend I had a couple of guys ask me about my suspension. They didn't believe that I left the front strapped all the time. They said that I am going to blow the fork seals. I told them I always leave it like that and have never had a problem. So my questions is, how many of you leave the front strapped down and how many of you release the front after a race.

Ive made 12 runs this year and have left it tight until I was done racing for the day and so far no leaks. In fact after each run I give it another tug to make sure its tight.
Last saturday I was @ Englishtown and on my 3rd run I popped the frontend up and it landed kinda hard and the strap loosened up.

I've been told the same about the seals, also it is said the ride on the street would be very uncomfortable. I like the way she looks when she's strapped down, but I release the strap when I'm done playing on the strip.

Ya wouldnt want to use the strap on the street cuz it does make it a little difficult to steer and range of steering motion is limited

why would you want to ride on the street with the suspension tied down anyway? who cares about the seal damage, what happens when you crash because the front had no travel over a minor bump in the road...

They were not in disbelief that you did it, they were in disbelief that you WOULD do it...

Hi, I ride around with only one eye open in case a bug flies in to it... that way I have an extra eyeball always available...

I always leave about a 1/2 inch of travel when I tighten the strap, just to help absorb any impact. I don't loosen it between runs, but once I'm done for the day I do. Kinda foolish to risk a wreck just cuz it "looks cool". The bike has a hard time hooking on the street with the strap tight anyway.......

Back