Race fuel

wscycle

Registered
Hi Guys.I have a 2008 Busa and i want to know if i can add race fuel for drag racing with out any fuel modifications.There is friend that have power mist ul rfg that is with 105 octane and 6% oxygen and i will like to try.Need advice.
Thanks

:welcome::welcome:

save your money, more ET to be had in learning to race the bike first..

Last edited:
to take any advantages of oxygenated fuels you would want to re-map for them. Seeing that you're stock you're better off following the direction voiced by Mr Bogus :beerchug:

I have a power commander v with auto tune what i mean with no mod is that i will not touch the current map.Sorry about that and what will be the best air fuel mixture my auto tune is from 14.2 at 5000 rpm and end at 12.9 at 11000 rpm.:whistle:

As far as I know any oxygenated race fuel that provides decent HP improvements will be some pretty nasty stuff to work with. Health dangers and will require draining and flushing of the fuel system.

Bogus gave you some good advice, unless you are turning some consistent low 9’s with it now, stick with pump gas or a “non-exotic” race gas. If you want a little more consistent fuel,you’ll want to pick one that pretty much mirrors pump gas. Compare in oxygen content, specific gravity and don’t go crazy in the octane department.

If you want to burn a tank of race gas at the track on the weekend, I think that is fine. It will give you a little bit on a stock motor but it is super expensive. But hey, its your cash. Do like I did, set a goal and reward yourself with some toys like race fuel. Get the bike to run 9.79 the way it sits. If you do, put in some race fuel and get your 9.60.

Im using shell 93 is the best octane number that we can get here in Puerto Rico.Is that fine for the bike.

Stick with pump gas 90 octane minimum. Any higher than sunoco ultra 94 and your just waisting your money. Unless you have a higher than stock compression ratio ya dont need a higher octane race fuel. On a "stock" engine a higher octane fuel will not give you more horsepower. The engine only needs just a high enuff octane to prevent preignition or "ping" and in some cases can cause overheating. For myself I use Sunoco 91 octane.

Im using shell 93 is the best octane number that we can get here in Puerto Rico.Is that fine for the bike.

How is the Octane measured in Puerto Rico? There are two methods Research and Motor. In the US, they average the two method numbers R+M/2

The bike makes the most power on 89 octane. Race gas will loose power. Oxygenated fuels are good, but a good tune is necessary to get all the benefits from it.

I was lookingin a few gas station here and the fuel that they have is 87 and 93 only, last year the only station that had 93 was shell and the others was 87 and 91.I was thinking in 91 but i will try 87 since 91 was eliminated here and i read that Brock recomend 87 octane for 08 busas.By the way my bike have the power commander v and auto tune,what is the best air fuel ratio mix for making the best safety horse power i'm running from 14.2 at 3000 rpm and keep richen the mixture to 13.0 to 9500 rpm and red line.
Once again guys thanks for the advice!!!!!!!!

The bike makes the most power on 89 octane. Race gas will loose power. Oxygenated fuels are good, but a good tune is necessary to get all the benefits from it.

you're right and wrong at the same time. leaving out oxygenated fuels, lower octane has more chemical energy per gallon. however, the higher octanes allow you to crank timing forward, run more boost, more compression, more nitrous, (whatever floats your boat) and do it safely. you're 100% right about the tune tho, you need to adjust from stock to take advantage of the higher octane.

Generally speaking, unless your vehicle is tuned for it the only reason I would add or use some race gas is to prevent detonation. Use too much and you could lose power.

Back