first time running bike on track

TommyGunn1300

Registered
i have been riding steetbikes for about 3 years now. i have had my busa for 10k miles and still never had it on the track. well this saturday, the local car site is renting out a 1/4 mile track around here. there wont be many people so i will be able to run quite a few times during the day. i really dont know what to expect as far as times go. i was hoping to break into the 9s but i dont know how hard that would be to do. been doing some reading on the forum and it looks like i could expect something in the 10s on my first couple of runs. the bike is a 07 bone stock. i have 1inch risers, and pilot roads. i im 6'3 and 195lbs.

looks like i just need to hold it at 3-4k rpm on take off, and shift at 11k? its this a good shifting point for a stock bike? i have been drag racing fast 4wheelers and dirtbikes on the dirtdrags for a while now. but being on a busa on pavement is going to me alittle diffrent.

i live on a back country road so i am going to practice before i go. should i strap the front down or leave it like it is? also, i will not be doing any burnouts because i dont want to buy a new one anytime soon. ill just clean it off with my hand if there is dirt on it.

soo...whats everybody think i will run givin my experience with racing other toys?

It sounds like you have already read my threads, you will love it!!! I didn't do any burn-outs either, the tire didn't slip on me and the bike didn't pull up at all,probably cause my take offs suck,but I didn't want to waste my tire, but once it starts slipping i'll be smokin'

Definitely strap it, and you don't have to do a John Force burnout, but spin it a little to get the crap off. First time out launch the bike just like you would from a stop sign if you were taking off hard. Don't worry about rpms, and shift a couple hundred short of your limiter.
Main thing is to have fun!
Oh and don't take this wrong, but if you're worried about replacing tires and/or clutches, you don't need to be at the dragstrip!:rofl:

a good outing will be in the 10's at all... mid 130's, relax, take your time, learn the system and above all , have some fun :)

Last edited:
Oh and don't take this wrong, but if you're worried about replacing tires and/or clutches, you don't need to be at the dragstrip!:rofl:

lol, i guess your right. but i just want to go out with everyone else and hang out and get a few runs in. but how many runs can you normally get out of a clutch?

also, when straping. do i just use a tie down strap? what does everyone hook it to?

lol, i guess your right. but i just want to go out with everyone else and hang out and get a few runs in. but how many runs can you normally get out of a clutch?

also, when straping. do i just use a tie down strap? what does everyone hook it to?

Clutch life depends on launching style. I've smoked a clutch in an evening. Needless to say I changed the way I do things....The longer you slip it, the worse it is. Try and get off the clutch quick, and use the throttles to control the bike.
You need a lowering strap, it attaches to your brake calipers. I've seen guys using a regular tie down, but it's not recommended. Your local bike store prolly has them, around $20.

do i really NEED a strap to run it? i dont mind the front end off the ground all the way down the track. that doesn't scare me. but coming down and busting a fork seal because i didn't have much front suspension does

You shouldn't have a problem running in the 10's. If it's a bone stock '07 shift around 9.5K.

The torque / HP curve is great between 4K and 9K+, you should hit the limit around 10.2K

With your background, I'm going to be upset if you don't run 10's.... :laugh: j/k

How deep in the 10's will be up to your riding ability... :whistle:

If you search some of my old posts from back in 03/04 I have a break down of getting in the 9's on a stock bike... ;)

Lots of good advice in many treads on this subject like staying out the middle of the track, launch techniques by the Professor, etc... You should be able to run 10's as long as you get a half way decent 60ft and don't miss a gear. If you know how to "blip" the throttle it will help also.

i did a few practice runs today. starting out with left foot on the peg just like i do on the YZ250 on the dirtdrags. i would hold it at about 4 then as i let out the clutch with one finger i would have the clutch all the way out in about 1sec. but when i open it WOT, it still bogs down till it reaches up in the rpms then she comes up. i had to let out alittle a few times to get it down before it got too high. i am shifting by just letting off the gas just a tad and bumping it into 2ed. then it comes up again. as soon as it starts to come down, i shift to 3rd. i cant really look at my tach so i am just going by engine sound for my shift points

does this sound ok, or am i dumping the clutch too fast? i could be at wot by the 60ft mark very easy but its still trying to catch up in the rpms before the front end comes up. i am under the impression that the front end needs to come up right at the time i let go of the clutch or while im letting go

If it's bogging the clutch is still engaged (if I'm understanding you correctly). Are you off it altogether?You are shifting right. Why can't you look at the tach? You don't have to have a strap, but it prevents the forks from pushing the bike up, thus making it more difficult to wheelie.

well i mean the clutch is all the way out, and i guess what i mean by bogging is its going but theres a point where it just hits the powerband where it really takes off.

Back