1/4 mile advice needed

99copper/silver

Registered
I have a 99 busa all stock except yoshi RS-3 full system.. I went to the track and was a bit dissappointed in my times...Best time was a 10.53@136mph..I was leaving at 4500 to 5000rpms and shifting at 10,000rpms...I weigh in at about 208lbs... I shifted through the gears by slightly letting off gas and shifting without clutch.. I wanted to run a best time of 9.99(or better)@ 143plus can anyone tell me what i can do differently to get better times as the bike sits... Bike has no power commander.... My buddy has a stock 07 busa with slip ons.. his best time, taking off easy was a 10.14 @140... he weighs 150lbs... Is my shifting technique wrong?? is it the weight difference? Any and all help would be appreciated!! :banghead:

i'm no racer but wouldn't going to the middle of nowhere and practice launching be a good idea? i told myself i would do that last summer just never got around to it... all i know i the more you practice the better you get... good luck... :thumbsup:

lower that ride! I dropped mine 1.25 on the st, 2.5 for the strip in the rear, and ~.8in in the front, plus a strap at the track. It doesnt sound like much, but getting the ride height down makes a huge difference. If you want to keep decent height on the street I would recommend a 1.25-1.5 drop in the rear and a strap(only pulled down on the strip).The spacers that some of the site sponsors can help you lower the front also, or a top plate if you want to go lower. I can tell immediately when I let the clutch fly if I left the strap pulled down or up. That'll help your 60', and better short times always mean better ET.:thumbsup:

Letting off the gas to shift, reaction time off the line and your weight all have a huge effect on your elapsed time. If you are going to drag race often, it's time to get an air shifter and change the front and rear sprockets. Your reaction time will improve with pratice by learning to "cut the light" You must get your 60' time down. Some of the softer rear tires will make a vast difference. If you are really interested in drag racing I would also get an extended swing arm and drop the the forks through the yokes. After you become consistant then you can tune for more performance.

My 60ft. times were 1.8754 / 330ft. times 4.7255 How should i be shifting this thing through the gears? ..lol I thought i got off the line pretty decent for my first time riding a fast bike at the track but my quarter mile times bummed me out.. :poke:

Letting off the gas to shift, reaction time off the line and your weight all have a huge effect on your elapsed time. If you are going to drag race often, it's time to get an air shifter and change the front and rear sprockets. Your reaction time will improve with pratice by learning to "cut the light" You must get your 60' time down. Some of the softer rear tires will make a vast difference. If you are really interested in drag racing I would also get an extended swing arm and drop the the forks through the yokes. After you become consistant then you can tune for more performance.

reaction time has no effect on your et.

Just keep at it. Practice is what brings your times down. Just work on trying to get your 60ft down.

What's your staging technik? The deeper you stage the slower your E.T. Try to just barely turn on the stage light for best E.T.

Ohh yea...I'm new to the Hayabusa owners world but I've raced cars and crewed on a couple Nhra PSB teams for the last 10years. :beerchug:

Hmmm ok... to the drag racers .... How are you shifting your bikes?? and what rpms?

Stock motor 10.2k actual with a light. Your tach may shor 10.4-10.5.

If using an autoshift, 10.3-10.4k

When foot shifting, I loaded the shifter slightly and chopped the throttle to about 80% for an instant. It would allow it to shift without a clutch. Practice on the 2-3 shift and perfect it before attempting the 1-2 shift. There is much more room for error on the 2-3 shift.

Hey Professor.........what was your 60ft and 1/8th mile times on the 9.3 pass in your sig?

1.559 60
4.020 330
6.063 1/8 @ 120.00
7.842 1000
9.362@ 147.39

I went out in worse air a few weeks later

1.541 60
4.002 330
6.044 1/8 @ 119.58
No time 1000
9.370@ 146.17

As always, great advice Rick. Hope to see ya at PMRA this year kicking some rear!!
I don't mean to thread jack, but why are you shifting that early? I have been shifting at 11K indicated, which is really about 10.6-10.7. With your cams, wouldn't you see some gains with a higher shift point?

As always, great advice Rick. Hope to see ya at PMRA this year kicking some rear!!
I don't mean to thread jack, but why are you shifting that early? I have been shifting at 11K indicated, which is really about 10.6-10.7. With your cams, wouldn't you see some gains with a higher shift point?

That was with the stock motor (with pipe) based on the autoshift so it was consistant. I bumped it up and down 100-200 at a time and that seemed to be the sweet spot.

The new engine starts dropping off about 10.5. I've played with it and it likes 10.4-10.5 as a shift point. To preserve street performance, I went a bit small on the cams compared to some. It is a pretty conservative build. So it goes flat a bit earlier than what some would expect.

110979-racing-fuel-dyno1.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I enjoy the facts you put behind your statements. I can't tell you how much "advice" people just take without thought or substance. Good on ya.:beerchug:

i'm no racer but wouldn't going to the middle of nowhere and practice launching be a good idea? i told myself i would do that last summer just never got around to it... all i know i the more you practice the better you get... good luck... :thumbsup:

The problem with that, is you have no reference if you are improving. Trying different things will not show you better times.
Go to a track for a test and tune session, and run the bike as many times as you can.

You need to practice practice practice. Learn to get out of the hole and your times will drop. Yes, your weight slows you down, but its your lack of experience that's hurting you more than anything.

How should i be shifting? Wide open throttle, pulling clutch in.... shift, let clutch out or Wide open throttle back off maybe to 80% throttle(trans unloaded), then lift up on gear shifter? turn throttle to wot.. Or Wide open throttle, let off , pull clutch in shift, let out clutch then wot?? I dont have a P.C. or quick shifter...

Back