Can I get 5's?

Ft Campbell Busa

Registered
Ran tonight and finally hit the six-teens with a 6.19@116. No VHT again tonight of course and temp was in the low 50s hi 40s.. I am amazed at how much ET is in the launch! I raised my launch rpm to 4-5000 and powered through the wheelie this time (normally I role out a bit to keep the front down) but I just slipped the clutch this time much better while getting it WOT before the 60ft. I knew it ran a good time when the front came down smoothly before the 1-2 shift. It normally runs 6.3s @115 launching more like Brocks site recommends. I think that I need to launch higher since I don't get to WOT like those guys. Anyways, even my Katana ran a 7.1 tonight, lol. I did get smoked by a 2008 Busa while on the Katana. I ran home and got the Busa to even things up! Air shifter, race seat, and an Shinko ultra soft are the next mods. Maybe even a 2-step. I want 5s before I add the N20. Thanks Professor for the tuning tips! The bike picked up definitely!

thats kicking you dont really need a 2 step since you already have over rev protection.

I got this launch box it adjust bye 100 from 100 rpm---9,900 rpm. have not used @ track yet I have it wired into my delay box.

IMG_6290.jpg

click on pic

th_MVI_6291.jpg

1yloc4.jpg

Yeah I was looking at the launch master. I actually want the one that Smithbusa makes since it does not produce the FI light like MSD one. I had to deal with a FI light too much the past few months prior to a new map. I have one made by Dynotech on the Katana and it is great. Thanks

nice times!! what was your 60 foot on your 6.19 run? and how long are you extensions? that cool air really makes things run quick dont it, i cant waite till our first race of the season!!

I have it at about 5.5" over stock. Honestly, I did not really drop any ET at first when I extended it a bit. They helped calm my fear of looping the bike more than anything. I still don't utilize them to their potential. I think that I am near the point were I could run this ET stock length. The reason is, I ran on the lowest setting for the lowering links before extending. I had to raise it one hole when I extended it which made it come up sometimes anyway. I recently installed the Tiger tail and went back down to the lowest link. I did notice a consistent 6.3 ET now. Thanks

Just got back from the local shop and he says that at a real track, ultra soft or shootout tire, and switching to a Brock full system will get me there. That Alien head sounds great but it is not cheap at all! I could almost buy a set of heads for the Mustang for that, lol.

nice times!! what was your 60 foot on your 6.19 run? and how long are you extensions? that cool air really makes things run quick dont it, i cant waite till our first race of the season!!

Oh yeah, no time slips on midnight madness. They dont even turn the lights on at the end of the track! I have to turn the hi beams on to see the return road. I have buddies or my son log my times and mph. Fortunately, Beechbend and Music City open this week!

Picked up an Ultra soft today so we will see if that helps. Music City near Nashville opened this week so I can make a pass on a track that has VHT! I noticed that everyone (car and bike) go 1/10th faster at Beechbend Raceway and Music City. If I can find 2/10ths I will be happy! I will pick up the seat also soon. Anyone here notice a difference in their 60ft with a cut seat?

My .02.
I would save your money on the Pipe and launchmaster, and work on other things that will improve your 60ft. A 1.45 short will get you a good 5.8 or 5.9 1/8 mile.

At 5.5" of stretch, you may benefit from a shock revalve and re-spring. Need much more rebound and preload.
What about gearing. I don't know your weight, mph, or gearing, but the 60 ft is helped by getting clutch out and full throttle as soon as possible. Gearing can help you get clutch out faster. I run a 16/45, but it all depends on weight, etc.
If you are pulling the front tire with 5.5 of stretch on a good track, try pulling the axle and filling with Lead. Not legal in all tracks, but works well. Only 3 lbs out in front, but makes a big difference. They also make ballast for under the pipes.
Just a thought.

My .02.
I would save your money on the Pipe and launchmaster, and work on other things that will improve your 60ft. A 1.45 short will get you a good 5.8 or 5.9 1/8 mile.

At 5.5" of stretch, you may benefit from a shock revalve and re-spring. Need much more rebound and preload.
What about gearing. I don't know your weight, mph, or gearing, but the 60 ft is helped by getting clutch out and full throttle as soon as possible. Gearing can help you get clutch out faster. I run a 16/45, but it all depends on weight, etc.
If you are pulling the front tire with 5.5 of stretch on a good track, try pulling the axle and filling with Lead. Not legal in all tracks, but works well. Only 3 lbs out in front, but makes a big difference. They also make ballast for under the pipes.
Just a thought.

Thanks Draco for your reply. I run a 16-42 gear and never even thought of a gear change. I weigh in at 200 suited. I am pretty ignorant on the whole shock thing. I have been searching the topic and I think that I will take it to the local shop later on and have them play with the suspension. I would be willing to shorten the bike back closer to stock if it will allow me to manipulate the stock suspension better. I know that most of you could run even better with less mods and stock length. I really have the extensions more to help build my confidence of not looping. I guess I have been watching too many Youtube videos, lol. Is the 16-42 enough gearing at my weight or should I go to a 43,44,45? thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated.

Dave Earll at Trac Racing (the arm people) has done revalving / sprining of shocks for me and several guys at the local track. They charge around $240 for a revalve and spring. You will probably need a new spring. tracinc@earthlink.net

Pretty hard to go 5s with stock wheelbase. Suppose it could be done, but I would try a new shock setup with the stretch. Going up a couple of teeth on the back will help you get your clutch out faster. Look on fleabay for a 44 or 45.

A lowered seat helps a little bit if you can get your knees up high enough to get your feet on the pegs. Many folks end up having to get lowered buel pegs after changing the seat. Try it first just by removing the seat outright for 1 pass.

Dave Earll at Trac Racing (the arm people) has done revalving / sprining of shocks for me and several guys at the local track. They charge around $240 for a revalve and spring. You will probably need a new spring. tracinc@earthlink.net

Pretty hard to go 5s with stock wheelbase. Suppose it could be done, but I would try a new shock setup with the stretch. Going up a couple of teeth on the back will help you get your clutch out faster. Look on fleabay for a 44 or 45.

A lowered seat helps a little bit if you can get your knees up high enough to get your feet on the pegs. Many folks end up having to get lowered buel pegs after changing the seat. Try it first just by removing the seat outright for 1 pass.

OK, thanks! Appreciate the advice.

Ok this may sound a little crazy but dont knock till you try it. I run a bar and solid stut, so the bike is really slamed, pretty tough to get my feet up on the launch. I swaped the pasenger peg mounts. put the left one on the right and right one on the left.you also have to swap the pegs on the mount so the rubber is facing fowards. this brings the pegs way forward and down,Now its very easy to to just bend the kness and plant my feet on the passenger pegs at full thottle.after the 1-2 shift when things settle down its very easy to slidd up to the front pegs. Off corse this only works if your using an air shifter. You also have to clearance the plastic about 1/2 an inch to clear the mounts. at first it looked a little wierd but i only use this bike at track so bling bling aint an issue.

I will get there soon before the Nitrous. I switched to a 200 over the 190 tire and it slowed me down 3mph. I even confirmed it and went to Beechbend in Bowling Green (Nice Track) where they prep the track actually and I had lost 3 mph in the 1/8th mile. I was still running 6.3s since the track conditions were better. I did run a 9.7 which is my 1st official 9sec pass, lol. I usually run 1/8th mile and only go to the 1/4 mile track once or twice a year. Last time I went there I could not get out of the 10s lol. I expect 9.50s @145 when I switch back to a 190. I had all new problems last week at a real track............I was hooking great but wheeling! Drove the Busa 170 miles round trip to the track and made 4-9sec passes. I love this bike. I wish my Mustang would do that!

Back