NHRA License

drizzit

Registered
Do I need to get a NHRA license to run my bike down the track? I plan on putting a turbo on my 08 next month.:cheerleader:

We did not need licenses for any street bikes last year.. PS motorcycle I think is the only licensed NHRA class.. This is not the same as other sanctioning bodies however..

I will check my rule book tonight when I get home.. I do not do tech on bikes so not up on their rules..

unless youre going to compete you wont need one just to run it down the track. The best thing check with your local track or NHRA.com
I live near Englishtown and was going to run there last year and they told me if it runs over 125 mph I need to have full leather suit and a teathered kill switch. They never did let me run becuz they said with the potential of the 08 hayabusa we know it will go faster than 125 mph so they didnt let me run with just a leather jacket.

unless youre going to compete you wont need one just to run it down the track. The best thing check with your local track or NHRA.com
I live near Englishtown and was going to run there last year and they told me if it runs over 125 mph I need to have full leather suit and a teathered kill switch. They never did let me run becuz they said with the potential of the 08 hayabusa we know it will go faster than 125 mph so they didnt let me run with just a leather jacket.
tracks are all over the road on this rule.. I have seen tracks run 9 second bikes in a jacket and tennis shoes... Personally? full gear no mater what..

Englishtown is a national event site so they are going to be hard core on rules.. small NHRA member tracks, do what ever they have to in order to get racers down the track..

Yes thats very true. Most of the NHRA member tracks are hardcore on the rules. I could drive another hour south of here and run my bike at another track without the hassles,but that track is'nt really that good when compared to E'town.
Besides I had the wife and kids with me and if we went to the other track and they let me run SHE woulda said " NO WAY".

under 6.40 in 1/8th mile,9.99 or over 120 in the 1/4 you need full leathers,snell approved helmet,gloves,and ankle high boots,and kill switch.

the busa has a tip over switch so they can't stop you from running cause you don't have a tether,also you probably won't run 120mph the first 20 passes anyways,as it's all about getting your et/mph in in the front half first.

I tell all guys i deal with don't worry about the whole track work on it piece by piece.

learn how they go:
burnout
lights come down
launch
60'
330' and rest will come

Good Luck All

why would you want to ride something as fst as a 'busa....without proper gear?

anyways, if the track is an NHRA track they will require a license to go faster than 10.00, tip-over switch?....that will not work on any track around here

wear good gear, get your nhra licience incase you run quicker than 9.99 in the quater mile, and id install i kill teather just in case, some tracks dont care if the busa has a tip over kill feature or not, if you do all this then you can run anywhere with no hassles.

why would you want to ride something as fst as a 'busa....without proper gear?

anyways, if the track is an NHRA track they will require a license to go faster than 10.00, tip-over switch?....that will not work on any track around here
some tracks will accept the tip over switch and allow guys to run virtually any ET.. kind of sad but the way the economics of these tracks go, many are on shoestring budgets and are doing all they can to encourage racers to show up and run..

Hated watching guys roll up on 9 second bikes with jeans and tennis shoes.. but the track owner calls the shots (till someone gets hurt I guess)

some tracks will accept the tip over switch and allow guys to run virtually any ET.. kind of sad but the way the economics of these tracks go, many are on shoestring budgets and are doing all they can to encourage racers to show up and run..

Hated watching guys roll up on 9 second bikes with jeans and tennis shoes.. but the track owner calls the shots (till someone gets hurt I guess)

i know, i see the pics.....and sometimes we get guys comming from out of state and they get pissed about all the rules we have to follow at the tracks around here.....then this is cali, and our liability laws make really easy to collect big cash from business.....

that story you hear about "burgular sprains his ankle while robbing a house...and sues owner of the house" that is a cali.

i would hate for anyone to take the time and effort to get to a track and not be able to run over s imple thing like a deadman switch....especially when you can ghetto rig one for under $5.00 and less than 5 min.

read the tether rule,a bank sensor or tip over switch on a fi bike is allowed.Tracks turn you away cause they don't know the rule is there you must make a point of it and you will see.I have been to some of the biggest races and they tried that bs and when pointed out we raced anyways...no track owner has the right to overturn nhra rules cause they signed the contract according to the rules in the book..you just have to know it's there..

faster than 120mph...full gear and 1-piece or zipped together pant/jacket. faster than 9.99 should require NHRA licence.

Check your local track. Ours is IHRA and if you make a certain time / speed on the trip you get asked to go off and get licensed and a one piece leather...

read the tether rule,a bank sensor or tip over switch on a fi bike is allowed.Tracks turn you away cause they don't know the rule is there you must make a point of it and you will see.I have been to some of the biggest races and they tried that bs and when pointed out we raced anyways...no track owner has the right to overturn nhra rules cause they signed the contract according to the rules in the book..you just have to know it's there..
and best done with the right attitude :laugh: the track can kick anyone out they please...

I watched one guy go off the deepend due to a rule and although he was right, the track owner told him to pack up and leave..

IHRA 2009 RULES for sportsman motorcycle
1 front and rear brakes mandatory
2 chain guards and clutch covers mandatory....sorry ducati
3 engine kill switch attached to rider on 0-10.99 1/4 mile and 6.99 1/8 mile machines (thats us)
4 tank mounted fuel shutoff valve on 0-9.99 and 6.40 1/8 mile machines
5 snap back throttle on all machines
6 handlebars must measure minimum 10" up from center of fork clamp, measured horizontally. In no case may the handlebars be mounted below the lower fork clamp on all machines
7 rigid front forks are not permitted on any machine
8 rear fender must cover the width of the tire used, extend to above the rear axle, and below the rider's sitting position
those of you that have stretched rear ends and wide tires may have a problem here
9 all machines must have properly secured seat,foot pegs, and handle grips
10 Mirrors,windshields, and all protruding brackets must be removed on all machines, saddle bags must be empty or removed completely
11 Nitrous Oxide permitted on bikes going 9.99 1/4 or 6.40 1/8 or quicker only.

Rider
SFI 40.1-1 or 40.1-2 suit or jacket or leathers or accepted Kevlar mandatory for ALL riders who run 10.99 1.4 6.99 1/8th or quicker OR run 120 mph or faster must wear a 40.1/2 suit or leathers.Two piece suits may be joined at the waist be a zipper.leather gloves and boots/shoes extending above the ankle mandatory

Helmet: SN-90 or newer,K 98, 2000 or SFI 31.2A or 31.2A mandatory

All competitors running 9.99 or quicker 1/4 or 6.40 or quicker 1/8 miles must have valid IHRA competition License

Last edited:
What does this mean?

" tank mounted fuel shutoff valve on 0-9.99 and 6.40 1/8 mile machines"

Do I have to put a shut off valve on my bike?

if they want you to you do.... although your bike can do 9.72 ish in the quarter they wont make you do it untill you have done it...lol

Back